Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to print .fms continuously without page breaks

Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I've just imported a ~150 topic help file into FrameMaker. Each topic is a separate .fm file (usually short) that starts with a Heading 1.

I'd like to divide those .fm files into chapter segments, insert a chapter-title .fm at appropriate points, and print the resulting book file like a regular book. The TOC organization and file lengths look like this:

Ch_01_Overview of the Thing.fm
   imported .fm file 1,  (1.2 pages long)
   imported .fm file 2, (1.5 pages long)
   imported .fm file 3,  (3.1 pages long)

Ch_02_Installation.fm
   imported .fm file 4, (1.2 pages long)
   imported .fm file 5,  (3.1 pages long)
   imported .fm file 6,  (0.7 pages long)
   imported .fm file 7,  (1 pages long)

Ch_03_Configuration.fm
   imported .fm file 8,  (0.2 pages long)
   imported .fm file 9,  (4.2 pages long)
   imported .fm file 10,  (0.9 pages long)

I want each chapter to start on a new page, but I want all the .fm files within the chapter to print after each other continuously with no page breaks between them.

I've experimented with Groups and Folders, but in both instances, each.fm file I put inside the group or folder still printed at the top of a fresh piece of paper.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One hack would be to author and maintain the source document as the present book, but have a separate monolithic FM document that imports all the book content as text insets. As long as the lead headings, presently starting new pages due to being in separate files, do NOT have Top of Page properties, it should be continuous flow.

I've created entirely parallel books this way, where the clones import the content of the "real" book, in order to have pro vs. consumer or domestic vs. export manuals, for the same product, with different page layouts, different conditionals, etc, (but not to defeat file-starts-on-new-page).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines