• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to put text in XML into tables via EDD on FrameMaker?

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

In XML, it goes...

<caution type=note> <para>xxxxxx</para> </caution>

and I want this to look like below on FM :

Caution
xxxxxxxx

I have tried some EDD options, but nothing worked so far...

Please help.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaorim,

There are two distinct design issues you need to consider:

1) What element structure do you need in FrameMaker

2) How can you go back and forth between the FrameMaker model and the XML model?

On the first point, if you want the caution formatted as a FrameMaker table, you'll need to use a different structure in FrameMaker than in XML. In particular, presumable your table will have one heading row with the title "Caution" automatically generated and one body row. Within FrameMaker every such table needs the following elements:

1) One for the entire table

2) One for the table heading

3) One for the heading row

4) One for the cell in the heading row, which may be empty, with the word "Caution" generated as an autonumber

5) One for the table body

6) One for the body row

7) One for the cell in the body row. This cell can correspond to the <para> element in XML, or it may contain a <para> element.

Thus, the two nested elements in the XML representation must correspond to 7 or 8 elements in the FrameMaker view. The EDD defines the formatting within FrameMaker so it must specify the names, content, and formatting of these 7 or 8 elements.

In some cases, the correspondence between the FrameMaker model and XML model is specified in read/write rules. Read/write rules are not powerful enough to handle this situation. Instead, consider using XSLT to switch between the two models.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really do this with EDD rules, but you could do it with an XSLT import process. However, in order to keep your source "clean" (without the table) you'd need to unwrap the table on export .. this seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle.

You might consider setting up a "publishing workflow" that's different from your authoring workflow. That might be that you're using a slightly different structured application for publishing than you use for authoring .. or you might have some ExtendScript scripts that you run on the files to make these sort of adjustments before you publish.

I have a plugin called StructureSnippets that does exactly what you're asking about (among other things), and is intended to be used as part of a publishing workflow.

Leximation: Structure Snippets

Cheers,

Scott Prentice

Leximation, Inc.

www.leximation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Scott

Thank you for introducing the add-on.

Is seems this is probably the best and simple way to make it happen.

However, my FM is 2015 and OS is Win10.

Double clicking .exe did not work in my environment, so I placed files and edited maker.ini manually.

I hope this is OK.

When I get result tomorrow, I will come back and report.

Thank you so much!!

Kaori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines