Highlighted

How to quickly adapt a word document to its framemaker replacement

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Let me first  say how much I welcome the possibility of going away from Word, which has been a nightmare in many occasions.

That being said, I wish there was a better way to tell me how to quickly get back to speed in adapting to the new configuration.

For instance:

How to create a TOC

How to duplicate (or close enough) the navigation pane of  Word, (Display of headers, or pages)

How to transfer the bookmarks (or create new ones if that is needed in Framework)

How to update the headers and footers (or create new ones)

etc

Can someone point me to relevant tutorials?

Thanks

Serge

TOPICS
Content migration, Formatting and numbering, PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to quickly adapt a word document to its framemaker replacement

Participant ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Let me first  say how much I welcome the possibility of going away from Word, which has been a nightmare in many occasions.

That being said, I wish there was a better way to tell me how to quickly get back to speed in adapting to the new configuration.

For instance:

How to create a TOC

How to duplicate (or close enough) the navigation pane of  Word, (Display of headers, or pages)

How to transfer the bookmarks (or create new ones if that is needed in Framework)

How to update the headers and footers (or create new ones)

etc

Can someone point me to relevant tutorials?

Thanks

Serge

TOPICS
Content migration, Formatting and numbering, PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pick up a copy of Matt R. Sullivan's Publishing Fundamentals books & check out Barb's site - rockymountaintraining.com for great how-to stuff. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Jeff recommends, when you first open FrameMaker you'll see something called WelcomeScreen. In the lower right corner is a panel called Learning that has links to Tutorials, Training, and Matt Sullivan's introductory course for FrameMaker. It's online and free and covers most of the introductory information you'll need, but be aware that the courses unlock over a period of days. You can't binge, in other words.

There's also a link to the User Guide.

Be aware that Frame and Word have very, very different approaches to documentation. One thing you will NOT find in Frame is the Navigation panel you are talking about. You can get the book files to display the text contents of the first line, but that's about it.

You can also FrameMaker courses in LinkedIn Learning, if that's accessible to you.

Edited to add: Also, Matt Sullivan had a presentation covering moving from Word to Frame about a month ago. It is also free and online: https://2020-01-14-stepping-up-from-word-to-adobe-framemaker.meetus.adobeevents.com/?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I've looked in the www.rockymountaintraining.com but I find the 600 bucks a bit too
much for my wallet.

What's the title of the book by Matt R. Sullivan you refer to?

Best

Serge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yeah, I understand that there is no such thing as Navigation Panel of Word
but cant we approach that in some fashion?

I thought perhaps via the bookmarks, or a TOC?

Best

Serge

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 0
Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to Barb's blog articles - they're free.

Matt got started with the FM "bible" with Unstructured FM11 - still a relevant reference even though the UI has changed a bit. See https://www.amazon.com/Matt-R.-Sullivan/e/B016CJHEVU%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share for some of his others.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 14, 2020 0