Highlighted

How to refresh xml view?

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While working with xml files (in my case DITA topic), I would like to refresh the WYSIWYG view to the actual look of the output files. A cumbersome way would be to close and open the xml file. Is there a shortcut to refresh the view in a smarter (easier) way?

TOPICS
Structured, XML author

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to refresh xml view?

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While working with xml files (in my case DITA topic), I would like to refresh the WYSIWYG view to the actual look of the output files. A cumbersome way would be to close and open the xml file. Is there a shortcut to refresh the view in a smarter (easier) way?

TOPICS
Structured, XML author

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 11, 2019 0
Mentor ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is difficult for me to understand your question. Are you talking about how sometimes the formatting gets messy and/or pasted content does not auto-format? There is a Ctrl+L shortcut to refresh the screen, but that does not reapply element definition (EDD) formatting. The only way I know to do that is by reimporting element definitions (File > Import > Element Definitions, select Current document and Remove: Format Rule Overrides).

I find the need to reimport definitions on a regular basis. So I built it into this plugin, where you can configure a custom keyboard shortcut to do it:

http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_StructureTools.htm

The plugin is not free, but it has a trial version that never expires and this particular function is free (never bugs you to pay).

Hope this helps.

Russ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 2
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ, thanks for your answer and sorry for the lack of clarity in my post.

What I meant is the formatting. For instance, when I copy some text from a different source and paste it into my xml file, unless I "paste special" and choose the "text" option from the menu, the WYSIWYG  shows the format of the source text not the format, intended by DITA topic (in my case). Only after closing and reopening the xml file, the correct format appears. There are other cases where the WYSIWYG is not showing the intended format and I have to close and reopen the xml in order to double check the stuff, somehow annoying but not life threatening. Yeah, perhaps the edd import would do the job too. Thanks for the never expiring trial version, I may give it a try.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
Mentor ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, we are talking about the same thing then. Yes, I understand totally what you want to do. I have been using my plugin for this for more than a decade, because there is no native shortcut. I do not know why. It seems like every structured FM user would want it. Maybe we are the only people using structured FM 🙂

Russ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the feeling that FrameMaker support for structured authoring, especially using DITA, is far from being complete. There are many issues with DITA customization etc. that FrameMaker simply fails to accomplish. Or fails to clearly explain how to accomplish.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. Thats a good feature request and we will try and add this feature as part of next release. We do continue to further improve DITA authoring experience and with next release, you would see lot more improvements in the same and even with better publishing capabilites. 

Please do share your other feedback at amisingh@adobe.com 

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0