• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove all instances of a specific character format/tag within a document?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to easily remove all instances of a particular character format (say, "Hypertext") from a document. Using the Find/Change tool, I can easily search for the character tag "Hypertext" and try to change it to a different character format, but the only option that FM gives is to create a new character format, and even when applied the text changes but the Hypertext character tag is still applied.

The only way I've been able to achieve the desired goal is to search for the Hypertext character tag (which selects the text where it is applied) and then click the "Default Font" in the character catalog, which removes the tag. But I must do this for every instance of Hypertext formatting. Am I missing something here? It seems like this shouldn't be that difficult, but I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

You can try using the new funky formatting features of the Find/Change – I don’t have FM open, but it’s something you select a bit of text that has the correct formatting on it & then right-click and copy special (or something – you copy the formatting, not the text), then you fire up your Find/Change, tell it what to look for and in the replace section there’s something like “as copied” or something. It only appears as an option to select when you’ve done the special copy thingie. Sorry I can’t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I should have said it's FM12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try using the new funky formatting features of the Find/Change – I don’t have FM open, but it’s something you select a bit of text that has the correct formatting on it & then right-click and copy special (or something – you copy the formatting, not the text), then you fire up your Find/Change, tell it what to look for and in the replace section there’s something like “as copied” or something. It only appears as an option to select when you’ve done the special copy thingie. Sorry I can’t be more specific, but I know it really helped me when I needed to go through and change one character tag to another throughout 300 docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, that's done it! Thank you very much.

For those who might be trying to do this in the future, the steps are as follows:

• Select the text that has the formatting you wish to apply
  • Right click, Copy Special > Copy [para/char/etc] Format
  • Go to Find/Change
  • Search for text you wish to change
  • In the Change section, choose By Pasting from the drop down menu
  • Click into the empty box and press ctrl-v (it won't give you any feedback that anything has happened, but it has)
  • Press Change All

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! My feeble memory comes through (even if I can’t remember any specific details)…now, what’s my name again? – grin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines