Highlighted

How to retrieve old FrameMaker 5.5 files

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some technical documents that I created in FrameMaker 5.5 back in the late 1990's. My question is: if I download the newest version of FrameMaker (2015) will I be able to open these old .fm files and save them as .fim files?  When I called Adobe phone support I was told that you can't open FrameMaker 5.5 files with the current version of FrameMaker.  Can someone confirm whether this is true?

I also noticed that you can download trial versions of older versions of FM, such as 11, 10, 9, 8, or 7.2.  If I downloaded one of these older versions of FM would I be able to open my FM 5.5 files?

As I side note, I am running Windows 7 64-bit operating system.  I have the original FM 5.5 application disk, but can't install it on my machine...probably because FM 5.5 was designed for 16-bit operating systems (?).

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me retrieve my FM 5.5 files.

MM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to retrieve old FrameMaker 5.5 files

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some technical documents that I created in FrameMaker 5.5 back in the late 1990's. My question is: if I download the newest version of FrameMaker (2015) will I be able to open these old .fm files and save them as .fim files?  When I called Adobe phone support I was told that you can't open FrameMaker 5.5 files with the current version of FrameMaker.  Can someone confirm whether this is true?

I also noticed that you can download trial versions of older versions of FM, such as 11, 10, 9, 8, or 7.2.  If I downloaded one of these older versions of FM would I be able to open my FM 5.5 files?

As I side note, I am running Windows 7 64-bit operating system.  I have the original FM 5.5 application disk, but can't install it on my machine...probably because FM 5.5 was designed for 16-bit operating systems (?).

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me retrieve my FM 5.5 files.

MM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 04, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I have some technical documents that I created in FrameMaker 5.5 back in the late 1990's. My question is: if I download the newest version of FrameMaker (2015) will I be able to open these old .fm files and save them as .fm files?

I will be very surprised if the answer is not YES.

re: When I called Adobe phone support I was told that you can't open FrameMaker 5.5 files with the current version of FrameMaker.

I hope you didn't pay anything for that call.

re: I also noticed that you can download trial versions of older versions of FM, such as 11, 10, 9, 8, or 7.2.  If I downloaded one of these older versions of FM would I be able to open my FM 5.5 files?

If Adobe has in fact dropped the ability of a newer FM to open an older FM's binaries, then yes, that would be a great work-around. I would re-save as both binary (.fm) and MIF to minimize further migration issues. If the .fm won't open, try the .mif.

re: As I side note, I am running Windows 7 64-bit operating system.  I have the original FM 5.5 application disk, but can't install it on my machine...probably because FM 5.5 was designed for 16-bit operating systems (?).

I'm running FM7.0 under XP Mode in Windows 7/64, but the odds of earlier versions being able to use this dodge get iffier the older they are. 5.5 might have some 16-bit or real-mode code that won't even run in the XP/32 VM on a 64-bit x86 CPU.

In any event, when opening 5.5 files under newer FMs, expect some odd dialogs, and the usual assortment of missing fonts and imported objects not found.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2015 0
mamendel LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Thank you for the response.  Fortunately, I did not pay for the phone call to support.

MM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2015 0