• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to set .pdf language

Advisor ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A brand-new anxious question from colleagues, after they discovered that a .pdf someone else has produced had the language property set to French while the text was visibly in English; it seems a screen reader offered some quite distressing noises …

I've opened .pdfs from two pretty well equivalent .book files (FM12) and checked Properties > Advanced: one of them was already set to English, the other had no language setting at all. My question, then, is "what's the easiest way, OOB and without plugins, to make sure a .pdf is created with English as the language property".

Thanks in advance! in all the few languages I could say that in :-}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the language in Adobe Acrobat or Reader in Preferences > Language:

Acrobat Pro DCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb; no way of doing it on the .fm environment as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I guess that not the language of the Acrobat application is meant, but the language which Acrobat assigns for the PDF file.

You can set this in the PDF document properties in the Advanced tab.

pdf_language_property.png

As far as I know FrameMaker cannot set this PDF language property. I do not know, if you can set this via a PostScript frame and pdfmark commands.

I also think that FrameMaker should be able to set this property.

I would also like, if FrameMaker could set the other Print Dialog Presets on this tab. (I do not know, if printers follow these presets. And what do other PDF viewers do?)

And in FrameMaker I can set Copyright info, but this does not appear in the Copyright section in the PDF description (Additional Metadata), but only in the Custom properties and hidden somewhere in the Advanced Properties.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the input, Winfried – I too have occasionally wondered about the apparent discrepancy between FM properties and .pdf properties ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines