Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to type exponents?

Apr 27, 2010 Apr 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to FrameMaker, slowly making progress.  I need to write an exponent, like 16 to the 5th power.  Anyone know how to do this?

I have searched and can not find an answer.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My copy of FrameMaker is busy creating a PDF at the moment, so I am guessing a little here. Select the number that

is to be the exponent, open the character designer, and the choice superscript should appear in one of the tabs, not sure which tab, but it is there. If you want, you can create a character style for superscript and subscript. Again, guessing a little here. Maybe others will confirm or correct my guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danske,

In addition to Van’s tip to use a superscript character format, you can adjust the scaling and position of superscripted characters using Format > Document > Text.

Another idea — if you are using FrameMaker 8 or 9 — would be to access the superscript characters which might be part of the font you are using. I collected several methods to view and access all characters of a font in a [German] blog entry, but I recommend PopChar/Win from Ergonis:

http://www.ergonis.com/products/popcharwin/

HTH,

- Michael

PS: My blog page is at http://cap-studio.de/wp/index.php/info/framemaker/unicode-zeichen-eingeben/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note that subscripts and superscript settings are global to the document. If you want to customize the vertical positioning and size of the exponent via a character tag depending upon the font used, then Scott Prentice has an excellent plug-in available for this. See: http://www.leximation.com/tools/info/extracharformat.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Van - That solved my problem, very simple.  Thanks to everyone else for replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines