Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML5: SVG and FrameMaker labels in the same anchored frame

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

On many illustrations in my documents I have text frames with labels (explanations or numbers).

This way the size of the illustration does not matter, but the text size does always fit to the regular text.

My illustrations are in SVG.

However, when I convert to HTML5, it seems that I only have these options (Publish Settings, Optimization tab, Convert SVG to raster image):

• Option deactivated. Convert only SVG and ignore all labels. Bad. In the HTML5 I see only the SVG part (crisp and clear); my labels are gone.
  • Option activated. All SVG is converted to JPG, even those illustrations without any text frames. When there are additional FrameMaker objects on the illustrations, these are merged with the SVG file. The quality is worse, but I can read text.

Best would be, if FrameMaker would use the SVG files, if there aren’t any additional elements.

If there are additional elements (text frames, circles, arrows, etc.), then FrameMaker should add this to the SVG file.

When I would add the FrameMaker objects to the illustration in my graphics editor (Corel Designer), then this would take lots of time (LOTS of illustrations). I would have to scale the illustration in my graphics editor, so that the size would be exactly the same size as in FrameMaker.

Does anyone know, if there are other solutions?

Best regards

Winfried

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not having played with it since FM got SVG pass-thru-to-HTML (which is a relatively recent enhancement), yep, the overlay text doesn't appear to survive.

re: Best would be, if FrameMaker would use the SVG files, if there aren’t any additional elements. If there are additional elements (text frames, circles, arrows, etc.), then FrameMaker should add this to the SVG file.

That seems like it would require FM to generate an edited copy of the SVG, and it appears that right now, it just creates a direct copy of the SVG under the output dir, referenced by the generated HTML.

Might be easier for Adobe to implement images with overlays/callouts as container DIVs. That could also be a generic solution that is agnostic about the underlying image file format. This might further reduce complications introduced by things like complex callouts that are also hypertext (which I used to do a lot), and leaders/arrows from diverse origins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines