• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink that opens a folder on the server

Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need to insert a Hyperlink in a FrameMaker 8.0 document that opens a folder on the server when clicking on it.

It would be really nice if the link worked both in FrameMaker and in the PDF-file...

1. Should I use the Hypertext function? If so, what "Command" should I use and exactly how should the url (or adress) look like?

2. If not the Hypertext function, then what?

Thanks

// Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the "message openfile folder-path" format in the hypertext marker.

This should open the folder in explorer.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after some more investigations it seems that I should choose the "Go to URL"-command and write the adress according to the
  \\folder1\folder2\nn formula.

However , if the networkadress gets to long it stops working (the 255-letter limit?).

Is there a way around this? I work at a quite large company with a deep folder structure that I can not change at all...

/ Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

FM's marker have a 255 character limit, so you'll be hitting that even sooner when trying to use pathnames that are 255+ characters in length.

The only possible workaround may be using Shlomo Perets' Timesavers tool. Since this does post-processing of the created postscript file, it is possible to use a pdfmark " /Launch /File (filename)"  to swap in the very long pathnames from a look-up file (filename). This will give the same result as "message openfile" operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip: when entering file paths in FM's markers use "/" instead of "\", otherwise FM may try to interpret some characters after the "\" as special FM ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

This is a step to step guide to create a working hyperlink in order to open a network folder from FM:

1. Mark your text/word, rightclick, and choose hypertext.

In the hypertextbox:

2. Under "Command", choose "Go to URL"

3. After the pre-seted words "message URL" , type your network URL path exactly like this: file://folder1/folder2/folder3/folder4

OBS!  Note the path markers. Should be "/".      Not "\"

Do not use any ENTER or soft-Enter anywhere in that box.

4. Press the "New Hypertext Marker" button to insert the hyperlink.

Thanks Arnis for your help.

// Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this solution, and unfortunately,  the link only seems to work from the Frame file. When I save the file as a PDF and test the link, it opens a browser/search engine instead of the network folder.

Has anyone found another solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To get the PDF working, you'll probably have to invest in Shlomo's Timesavers tool as Arnis mentions in post #3. It does a bunch of post-production PDF tricks that FM can't do directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines