Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hypertext input argument method needed

Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fm users. We are trying to automate a bunch of activities which also includes adding hypertext (Go to URL) by taking a part of URL of the hypertext from the source word itself.. For example: xyz has to have a hyperlink which contains https://"Common code" xyz. We are looking for a method in FM scripting which can actually take the arguments dynamically. Is anybody aware of it? please let us know! Thanks

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do. If you would like to meet offlist via my GoToMeeting account, I will be glad to look at what you are trying to do. Thanks. -Rick rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frameexpert,

Thanks a lot for the reply. What we are trying to do is to automate the process of providing hyperlinks to selected number of rows in a table. We are just stuck as to which method and what arguments to be used to provide the same. Any guesses as to few methods and the type of arguments to be given also would do. We will experiment with them.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rhp,

Like Rick, I did not understand your first post. I'm still not sure that I understand. My guess is this... you want to insert Hypertext markers with a "message URL" command, and you want the URL to be generated based on text in the document. Is that close at all? If so, I have to warn you that this would require advanced scripting skills. It would mean a certain measure of text analysis and manipulation that is not for the beginner. I'm not saying you can't do it... just that a "few methods" and "experimentation" may not get you there.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

Yes you have got me right. That is what we want to do. We would actually want the URL to be generated based on text in document. But if that is too complex to be scripted, we could also do with giving a part of URL as a static one and remaining or basically the end part of URL to be entered by the user manually. (As that is the only thing that may vary). But foremost, we would like to know the method for doing the first step.

Thanks in advance for the help.

- Hari Priya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any budget for this job? If you send me complete specs offlist, I can give you a quote to script it, or at least get you started. It is unlikely you will get help here because your requirements are a little vague. Thanks. -Rick rick at frame expert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Along with what Rick said... it is not too complex for a script. In fact, it sounds like a great use case for scripting. The problem is that you need advanced skills to make it work. This forum is a good place for answers to specific questions, not for a general tutorial on how to accomplish a complex task. If you are really starting from the beginning, you'll need to either go back and prepare for some extensive study or pay someone to do it for you.

Please know, though, that I don't mean to discourage you. The FrameMaker scripting/API interface is one of its great strengths. I had a similar type of need once, where I was working in a glossary and I wanted all glossary terms in definitions to become cross-references to their corresponding glossary entries. This would have been a time-consuming and error-prone task to do manually, but with a script it was very fast and automatic. So, scripting is great, but some tasks require more knowledge than others. Unfortunately for you in this case, your task is one of those.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines