• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

i downloaded FDK how to write API and what is a FDE?

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am new to proogramming,

i downloaded FDK how to write API and what is a FDE?

FDK PROGRAMMER’S GUIDE doesn't tell how to do.

can anyone please explain?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some examples included with the FDK. However, if you are new to programming, I suggest you start with ExtendScript, which is built into FrameMaker 10 and above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried extendscript, it takes time to run script for even a simple and small function. So wanted to try fdk.

Which tool is used to edit the API? How we will map the API example with FrameMaker to run it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious about what you are doing. The majority of my scripts run pretty fast. Even if they are a little slower than an FDK client would be, I don't have to mess with a compiler, etc. Plus all of my scripts from version 10 still work with 2019.

You will need some version of Visual Studio to compile the code into a dll. There used to be an installation manual that came with it that told how to get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This question is far to broad for you to get a answer here. Nobody can spend months teaching you how to program. This is something you need to learn on your own.

Having said that, I certainly understand your situation. I remember well the time when I started with the FDK, having generally minimal programming experience and no experience with C. Luckily for me, I had some professional developers around me who could help get my IDE set up and answer basic questions. The hardest part is the very first part.

You need to have the correct IDE, some version of Microsoft Visual C++. It is very difficult to know which version because the FDK documentation has been neglected for some time, especially the installation documentation. If you were more specific about which version of the FDK, we could tell you which version of Visual C++ you need. But that is about the most we can do... IDE setup can be complicated. Like Rick suggests, the FDK samples are probably the best place to start.

Regarding the FDE, it is a broader concept that is not so important to understand right away. Basically, you should start out using functions and data types defined in the FDK reference, avoiding the native C counterparts. This does not mean that you can't use regular C... it's just that the FDK was built on this concept of cross-platform compatibility, so clients somehow operate entirely within the FrameMaker processing space. By using solely FDE functions and data types, you ensure that you are not dipping into the general OS for anything and that your client will run on any FrameMaker anywhere. I'm no expert on this stuff so I hope what I just said is true. The basic thing is that you don't need to know the details of the FDE magic... just follow the syntax of code that is documented and you will be fine.

I hope this helps some. I know it is far from getting you where you want to be. But it's the best I can do through this forum.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines