• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have Framemaker 7, is there any way I can get it to work with Windows 10?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Framemaker 7, is there any way I can get it to work with Windows 10?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you could install it on a Win10 box, I'm not sure how much tweaking would be required to get it to run in an XP-compatibility mode. You'd probably be better off running it inside a VM that was running WinXP. Btw - what's the impediment to upgrading to FM2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way too expensive they have no reasonable upgrade program for 7 users

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are multiple issues for older FMs on newer Wins, including but not limited to:

• Does the installer run? (might require "Compatibility Mode").

• Are the executables (.exe's primarily), API-compatible?

• Are the I/O functions WDF(WDM)-compatible? (and this is mostly about the Distiller component of FM)

It might be possible to get FM7 to run well enough on Win10 to print-to-file as .ps, then Distill that using a Win10 version of Acrobat Std or Pro.

I'm running FM7 under Win7Pro64, as described here. The problem for Win8, 8.1 and 10 is that the "XP Mode" VM is not supported, and might not be easy to obtain and hack in. Using another VM raises the issue of finding bits and license for an XP to run it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines