• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have Windows 10 and Windows 7 Enterprise running FrameMaker 2017 and sharing files.

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found issues with sharing files, specifically TOC, LOT, LOF between these OS systems. Has anyone else experienced these type of issues? Some of the errors I receive from FrameMaker are "this file is locked in view mode", spurious Book file errors, cross reference errors, font errors, cannot open file due to unavailable font error, etc.

We are just two writers with different OS's sharing documentation and editing responsibilities. We follow the identical save (auto save off), update document, building of generated files, etc. procedures.

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ...cannot open file due to unavailable font error...

That alone could explain a lot of the other errors. Both systems must have the same fonts used in the shared documents. There are a bunch of ops that FM won't run if there is any error on auto-open of a file, and font-not-found suffices.

If that doesn't explain it all, anyone with further insight is apt to want to know where the files physically reside. Are they on one of the two systems, and shared to the other? Are they on a 3rd (server)? In a CMS? Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Bob, you are correct in the fonts errors. I have cleaned these all up in both systems and I still occasionally receive this error. Once we "remove" the error, the file will process on either system. This is a random error and occurs when another error happens in the FrameMaker file. Similar to the "view only error", that happens randomly on the Win 10 machine.

In regards to the files, they are shared across a networked drive. Common "public" folder where files are dropped off and picked up. Both the Win10 and Win7 machines have no problems with this setup. There is no CMS or central server. The files are edited and moved back-and-forth between these OS's for editing, reviewing, and processing.

We have come to the opinion that editing will be all done on the Win10 machine and then passed to the editor/processor on the Win7 machine when 99% completed. The LOT/LOF/TOC/IX generation will then be done on the Win7 machine for final product output. This so far has worked, but we need to be able to edit and send files between these machine types, that can be edited immediately, and no longer need troubleshooting each time a machine copy/move is executed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines