• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to change numbering of footnotes in Framemaker

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an editor of an industry journal, and got corrections back from an author. He wanted the numbering of footnotes changed. I've attached a screenshot below; he wants the "17" changed to a "15" but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm hoping I can do this and the numbering is automatically changed for all subsequent footnotes.

By the way, I work primarily in Word, so appreciate any FM help. Thanks!--Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

There are about 20 separate FrameMaker files, and there is one chapter in each of them

For standalone files, use Format > Document > Numbering > Footnote and set the first footnote number manually.

VMware Fusionss_001.pngVMware Fusionss_002.pngVMware Fusionss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this is in the middle of a chapter?

If you delete two prior footnotes, FrameMaker will automatically renumber all the footnotes, and 17 will become 15, and 18 becomes 16, etc., assuming the footnotes are set to number consecutively. To remove a footnote, highlight the superscript number in the body of the document and press Delete.

If it's a different scenario, please come back to describe it so that we can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each chapter is a separate FrameMaker file. This is chapter 5. (Chapter 4's footnotes end with "14")  I don't want to delete the endnotes; I just need to change the number, and need the number to start with "15" in Ch. 5.

Sorry if I'm unclear--trying to figure it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. You just need to tell the footnotes to number consecutively through the book, and then update the book.

• In the book window, select the body chapters
  • Right click > Numbering
    VMware Fusionss_002.png
  • Footnotes > Continue Numbering From Previous Footnote in Book > Set
    VMware Fusionss_003.png
  • Update your book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm ... it's actually not a book. There are about 20 separate FrameMaker files, and there is one chapter in each of them. The chapters aren't connected in any way. I think I probably need to treat each file as its own "book" ...

There IS automatic footnote numbering within each file, but since the files aren't connected, the numbering doesn't continue from one file to the next.

Just as an example, what I need to do with one particular file is have the first footnote be "16" then "17" and all the way up to "20." Then, I want to open the next file and make the first footnote be "21" etc.

I'm sure this is a convoluted way of doing things, but it's what I have to work with; hopefully my issue is a bit clearer and that you can help.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A FrameMaker book need not be published as one unit. You want to have footnotes numbered consecutively throughout a collection of files but presumably do not want page numbers, paragraph numbers, or other numbering properties to be related. Consider creating a book and putting all the files in the book, in the order in which you want footnote numbers to flow. From the book window (not the individual documents), set the footnote numbering to continue from the previous file in the book. Set all other numbering properties to start over at 1.

As you work, the numbers in each file will not change based on editing you do to other files. When you want to synchronize the numbers, update the book. The numbers in the consecutive files will then be updated so that the footnote numbers of each file are based on the footnote count in the preceding files.

The alternative is to set the starting number for footnotes in each individual file. If you do, though, you'll need to reset the starting numbers for all files after each one you change. Using a book is much less work and doesn't require you to keep track of which files need to be updated.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are about 20 separate FrameMaker files, and there is one chapter in each of them

For standalone files, use Format > Document > Numbering > Footnote and set the first footnote number manually.

VMware Fusionss_001.pngVMware Fusionss_002.pngVMware Fusionss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a 25+ year FrameMaker trainer, this isn't what I would recommend, but it will get the job done until you have time to invest in learning a little bit more about how to get FrameMaker to work for you. The beauty of FrameMaker—and why it is still around after all these years—it that we can automate a lot of our long document processes. But FrameMaker doesn't "work like Word" and there is a learning curve to get up and running. In my classes, one of my many goals is to help my students transfer their Word skills to FrameMaker skills because it just isn't intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much, Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are very welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines