• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I've imported a layered EPS file into FrameMaker, but ONLY the EPS image shows up in the PDF. How do I get everything to appear?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an .eps file (a bar code) into FrameMaker and found that the resulting PDF omitted everyting but the .eps image.  How do I get FrameMaker to recognize the text and images in the .fm file as well as the layered .eps file image in the output PDF file? To test this, I also converted the .eps file (in PhotoShop) to a TIFF, GIF, JPG and PSD and imported each into the FrameMaker doc and created a PDF.

When I imported the .psd file into .fm and PDFd it, all the text and images of the .fm file appeared, but the bar code had poor resolution.

When I imported the TIFF file into .fm and PDFd it, nothing appears in the PDF except the bar code image and the text frame it's linked to. The barcode has poor resolution.

With a JPG image, everything appears in the PDF but the barcode has poor resolution.

With a GIF image, everything appears in the PDF but the barcode has poor resolution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

First thing you should try is to create a PDF of the EPS file using Acrobat only. If this doesn't come out as expected (in the resulting PDF), then you know exactly where the problem is. Creating a PDF from the EPS in Photoshop is not a good test.

You also should update your FM12 version - you're one patch behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version and point release of FM?

Which program created the EPS file? Is the EPS content vector or raster?

How was the barcode created, i.e. from a font or a direct rendering in an application?

Have you tried creating a PDF directly from the EPS file via Acrobat? Does this PDF show everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis - I have FrameMaker 12.0.3.424. The EPS file is raster. Not sure about the program that created it... It's a bar code I bought from a vendor, to whom I will send your questions! (Good questions:-)

In PhotoShop I created a PDF of EPS file (the resulting quality was poor) and imported it into FrameMaker and created a PDF of that. Nothing showed up on the final PDF but the bar code (poor quality) and the text box it's linked to.

(I'm creating a book cover, so the barcode is an intrinsic part of the entire cover.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing you should try is to create a PDF of the EPS file using Acrobat only. If this doesn't come out as expected (in the resulting PDF), then you know exactly where the problem is. Creating a PDF from the EPS in Photoshop is not a good test.

You also should update your FM12 version - you're one patch behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Arnis, for your suggestions! I upgraded my FrameMaker, but sadly, do not have Acrobat so can't do the test you suggested and EPS is apparently a forbidden file type to upload here. Hmmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The latest patch solved the problem! Thank you, Mike and Arnis, for reaching out!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bar codes should be vector not raster. Rasterizing tends to degrade them

and they may become unscanable. Your vendor should send you a vector bar

code, either EPS, PDF, or SVG.

P.S. There are plenty of free bar code generators on the Internet. I

wouldn't pay for one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines