Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want conditional text to be hidden, but that it shows on variable

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

so I have this situation: I have 6 lines of text which I want to hide from my document. Those are headlines, and I must have them, so they appear as a header on each page. I have defined variables (<$paratext[paratag]>) Running H/F3, Running H/F4, etc. Because I don't want those 6 lines to be visible in body text but only in header, I have created & applied condition and hide it. The problem is that FrameMaker takes that condition into count even on variables, and it hides all occurrences - in body text and in headers! My question is: how can I hide headlines from body text, and keep variables visible at the same time?
Solution that I don't use conditions at all and, and that, for example, I use white color for headlines, is not an option, because headlines are taking to much space on page (even if I set font size to 2pt). Any idea how to resolve this? I am working with Structured FM (which I am new to), so maybe there is some solution other then conditional text... or, this van be resolved by creating valid expression?
If you try to do same thing with InDesign, everything is working perfectly fine, so I am thinking, if InDesign can do it, FrameMaker can do it as well

Thanks!

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ilvanah10757708k,

The behavior you describe seems correct. I cannot think of a reason why it would operate differently. The whole point of the building blocks within a variable definition is that they dynamically change the text of the variable when the source text changes. If a variable references text that uses conditions, I would expect the variable text to respond accordingly to all conditional settings.

With that, I have some trouble understanding your use case. Why would you want text in a header that you do not want in the body?

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

the reasons is simple - because I must have that text as a header, and I dont want to have repetitive text on the same page. Imagine this: I have one Title in 6 languages, each starts on new line. I want that Title to repeat on each page. The only way to do that is to set up variable definition on Master. Now, since I already have Titles defined through variables, and it shows on header,  I do not need it anymore on body pages. I used to deal with it before in a way that I setup Title para style with font size: 2pt, color: white, and that would solve everything. The problem now is that I have 6 lines, which are taking a way much space, even if font size is set up to 2pt. I simply must free up some space on pages, so everything looks nice&elegant.

I even tried to set up one condition (Hide) for Para Style Title, and the other condition (Show) for Variable on Mater, but that could not trick FM

I just wonder, how InDesign do this differently? There must be a way....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I would like to comment further, but I need more time to study your response. It is not immediately clear to me what you are trying to do. I am very busy today and cannot study it further, but if the question is still unanswered on Monday, I'll try to put some more time into it. Thanks.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines