• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to create an object style that doesn't apply "fixed" dimensions to the object.

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create an object style (for instance) that will create an in-line image, at the insertion point, 8 points below the line. Some of the images are wider than others, and they keep on being constrained to the size of the original object I used.

Is there a way around this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Hi Andrew:

In my opinion, Object styles are awkward in FrameMaker, and don't conform to the other Designers. However, you can achieve what you want if you delete the size parameters before you save the style. Think: Set Window to As Is.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-02-27 15.16.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew:

In my opinion, Object styles are awkward in FrameMaker, and don't conform to the other Designers. However, you can achieve what you want if you delete the size parameters before you save the style. Think: Set Window to As Is.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-02-27 15.16.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I experimented a bit, and I found that out. It's not perfect, but it's better than setting all the object properties for each image when it's imported.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use the Reset button in the upper right of the Dimensions pane to set everything there to As Is, but I start all my Object Styles by selecting the Reset All button in the lower left (See Barb's screenshot)

Then you can set the Anchored Frame properties you need, give a great name (like Button, or Inline Graphic) and apply as needed.

I use this technique in all my books, but I have the additional problem of needing to adjust the baseline for images of differing heights. For that, I hold down the Alt key and use the up/down arrows to adjust as needed (Shift+Alt if there's a big move needed)

Feel free to message me (hover over my name to get the message option) with your email if you'd like me to send you a doc with this object style in it.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines