Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image prints tiny in PDF

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I prevent this from happening?

I exported an image from Adobe Illustrator to PNG.  Then I imported it by reference into Frame.  Then I saved it as PDF, then I printed it.

On paper the image is printed about the size of postage stamp.  In FrameMaker, the image is 672 pt high...about the entire height of the page.

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall my group had this happen, but it was many years (and versions) ago, and none of my current colleagues remember encountering it, or how we fixed it. I'm chiming in just to reassure you that it's a Real Thing[tm], and you're not crazy!

What version of FrameMaker are you using? My memory is that it was with either FM 7.0 or FM 8.0 that we had this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Then I saved it as PDF, then I printed it.

On paper the image is printed about the size of postage stamp.

Is it only postage stamp size on "paper", or is it also postage stamp size in the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's normal size in the PDF, but on paper it's tiny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay. That is important information. Because then the problem has nothing to do with FrameMaker or PDF, but is probably in the printer driver. Check with the manufacturer of the printer if there is a newer driver available.

Also, this special problem might be related to the available memory (RAM) of the printer. Try to reduce the PNG in PhotoShop and save with reduced quality, so that your printer can still handle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best way to determine whether a given PNG is too big for the printer's memory?  File size?  Dimensions?  DPI?  Something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of that is influencing it. The less RAM your printer has, the more likely it is, that the printer will have a problem with bigger graphics.

You can try e.g. to just scale down the graphic to 50% of the current size and try again.

Can you try on a different printer?

(And by the way, which printer is it?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Konica Minolta Bizhub C454e scanner/copier/printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Konica Minolta Bizhub C454e scanner/copier/printer.

A casual search suggests that printer has driver support for both PCL (HP Printer Command Language) and Postscript (Adobe) page description languages. Try using whichever PDL you aren't presently using, which may require installing the driver for it.

I routinely install both for any printers I use. There are often huge differences in rendering speeds and color matching. In the old days, certain docs would print with one PDL but not the other (even from PDF, which is nominally device-independent Postscript).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now this is getting weird. 

If I File > Print from Frame straight to the printer, the first page prints as it should.  But if I File > Save as PDF or File > Print to PDF, when I print the resulting PDF to the printer, not only does it print the entire first page the size of a postage stamp, but it's upside down and a mirror image (inverted).

If I copy the contents of the first page and paste it onto the second page, the second page prints correctly while the first page is still tiny, upside down, and inverted.

FINALLY, the above was all done with the checkbox marked for Choose Paper Source by PDF page size.  If I clear that checkbox the first page prints as it should.

Any ideas on why this is happening? 

Thanks!

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What printer driver {model} is installed?
PCL or Ps (Postscript)?

Since the document/images look fine in FM, and in Acrobat {Reader? Std? Pro?}, the problem seems more likely to be in printer driver or even printer firmware.

I used to have a wide format inkjet that would "forget" what fonts were downloaded after several pages into printing.

Have you tried a different printer? (which may require having someone else try the PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines