Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import text flow by reference

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I wonder if a FM scripting solution could be developed to update text insets in a FM template file.
The scripting solution must have similar functions as those of "Import text flow by reference" FM command and be able to check Master page name. If some conditions are obeyed, header or footer of each page must be updated.
What are the scripting functions to use if available?

All ideas ans suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

JM

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer:

Yes, that is possible. I have done it and it worked well. Some of my clients are using 1000s of small text insets in their user guides and they are all automatically updated by my scripts.

Slightly longer answer about which functions to use:

It depends on the exact requirements. If you have structured documents, you could - and should - use the free InsetPlus plugin (check out www.weststreetconsulting.com) to handle your text insets. If you do not use structured docs, it comes down to developing a specific script to do it.

Bottom line:

There is a lot to handle in a good script, so that is not something I would want to offer up for free. We all need to make a living. If you have a budget for having something developed that meets your needs, we can talk. Contact me off-list to discuss the options.

Kind regards

4everJang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Jang: there is a lot you can do with text insets with scripting. With most tasks, it helps to develop a detailed spec on what you are trying to accomplish. Then it becomes easier to break things down into smaller steps, especially if you are going to do the coding yourself. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines