• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing DTD into EDD

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to FrameMaker and just installed version 12. Every time I try to import a DTD into a new EDD, per instructions in the Frame documentation, I get a seven page (number of messages exceeded the maximum) FrameMaker Log that lists mostly DTD lines in which "Length of name, number, or token exceeded the NAMELEN limit". This happens with every DTD I try to import, so I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Mongo-man,

Are you importing an XML DTD? The error message is an SGML error. If you are working with XML, make sure to click the XML radio button in the Select Type dialog box. If you are working with SGML, you will need to use an SGML declaration that increases NAMELEN.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mongo-man,

Are you importing an XML DTD? The error message is an SGML error. If you are working with XML, make sure to click the XML radio button in the Select Type dialog box. If you are working with SGML, you will need to use an SGML declaration that increases NAMELEN.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lynne. I am trying to create an EDD using a DTD provided by a customer who requested SGML output of from FrameMaker for some manuals I am writing for them. I was using No Application and SGML for the import parameters. I went back and indicated XML for importing the DTD into a new EDD and got some "expected quote string", "could not open external entity" and "syntax error" messages, then "parsing aborted" - but by choosing XML instead of SGML, I no longer got the NAMELEN messages. Do you think I need to tell the customer if they want SGML I need a different DTD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, if the customer wants SGML, you want to continue using SGML. Do not change the DTD. However, you will have to set up an SGML application that specifies an SGML declaration. You should ask the customer to provide their SGML declaration. (They may have already given you one. It may be in a separate file, or included at the beginning of any sample SGML files they may have provided.)

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping to hear back from the customer soon with whatever info they can provide. What they sent was a DTD, FOSI, TDT pdf, and a MIL-STD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines