Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Table or Copying Rows, Columns or Cells

Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

From MS Excel, how can I import 10 Cells into the Framemaker Table, where I already have 10 empty cells.

Also, is it possible to copy multiple Rows or Columns from MS Excel (or MS Word) into the Framemaker?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

You can copy and paste cells from Excel into a FrameMaker paragraph, to create a new FrameMaker table containing those cells. You can then copy those cells from the new FrameMaker table into an existing FrameMaker table and delete the new table. In particular, in Excel, copy the desired cells. Then, in the FM paragraph, use Edit > Paste Special to paste the cells as Rich Text Format.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless matters have changed in later versions, table import in FM is weak to non-existent.

What I do is

1. open the .XLS in LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) Calc
  2. highlight the cells of interest
  3. File > Export as PDF
    (*) selection
  4. import the resulting PDF into FM

For extra credit have some cells above or below the rows of interest provide some provenance information (file path/name, date) and crop that info with the anchored frame in FM. This gives future document stewards some track-back information when the published table needs to be updated.

…having had to work with FM files where the tables were raster screenshots providing zero clue as to where they came from…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response,

Can we just copy 5 cells from Excel file into the 5 cells of the Framemaker???

I do understand your point, Table (or even Table Cells) copy into the FM is not simple cut/paste deal.

Once again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy and paste cells from Excel into a FrameMaker paragraph, to create a new FrameMaker table containing those cells. You can then copy those cells from the new FrameMaker table into an existing FrameMaker table and delete the new table. In particular, in Excel, copy the desired cells. Then, in the FM paragraph, use Edit > Paste Special to paste the cells as Rich Text Format.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy some Excel cells and paste them into a FM file, the text is there.

The columns are separated by tabs. The rows are separate paragraphs.

Select these paragraphs. In the Table menu click on Convert to Table to create a FM file.

Then copy the cells/rows from the table and paste them into your existing table.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lynne, Winfried, Bob.

I understand there is no easy way around copying Table from Excel (or Word) into Framemaker.

But solution is easy enough. I have tried Lynne's suggestion; I will try other as well.

It does work.

Appreciate your help.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was just trying to solve this issue of pasting a very large table into FM, from Excel. 

The method I found is to clear all the formatting in the Excel table, and resize the colums so that when you paste into FM it all fits on the page 

Then can apply a table style once the table is in FM 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines