• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In FM 12 strct environment, how to add a new value to the attribute of a pre-existing element?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main problem is that I don't know Where (what dialog that I can make appear) I make the edit from at this stage.

Goal: I am missing an attribute value for an Element titled "SafetyMsg" that I wish to add. The missing value is "WarningElectrical".

The SafetyMsg element currently has an Attribute Name titled "a_Type", containing 3 values: Danger, Warning, and Caution. See pic:adobe-attributes.png

My issue is that I want to add a 4th value, WarningElectrical, to the drop-down list above.

Very importantly, each of these values contains a framed graphic in the Reference Page (the 3 that work along with the new WarningElectrical value).

Here's a pic of WarningElectrical on the Ref page (bottom menu viewable so you can see its name):

WarningElectrical frame in Ref page.jpg

Note: WarningElectrical uses a different yellow triangle graphic than the other values although its still a warning.

Please list steps so I can access how to add this value to the SafetyMsg element.

Huge Thanks for your time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Structured FrameMaker templates are controlled by an EDD (Element Definition Document) that someone developed. You have to add the new value to the EDD and then import the element definitions into the document (File > Import > Element Definitions). Typically, you have someone that maintains the EDD and template and can update it for you. If you have other processes that import or export data from your documents, you may have to make other adjustments; for example you may have to update a related DTD.

If you don't have an EDD, you can extract one from the current document by choosing StructureTools > Export Element Catalog as EDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the right track. Thank You frameexpert.

Really need you. Have never edited EDD before.

So...

I extracted the EDD as requested.

Then I added "WarningElectrical" text to the Attribute list, as shown below:

EDD edit 1.png

I made No Other Edits to EDD file. Then I imported the EDD file back to the book file.

At this point FM brought up screen shot below. I looked at this and clicked Done. (Not sure if this was correct.  What should I have done instead??)

EDD import result.png

Lastly I opened up fm file to see if WarningElectrical was now a value in "a_type" attribue (for SafetyMsg element). Answer: no. Not there. Yet.

Plan: I believe I need to make further edits to EDD. Unless hear different (meaning I haven't done anything wrong so far), will go back and search for "a_type" to see text related to the other 3 values and try and do something similar for WarningElectrical.

Please say if see anything wrong with what I've written above.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import the element definitions into the document you are trying to edit and see if it shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been doing just that.

Have also combed through EDD.fm file using Structure View.

Have made edits to align with the way the other attribute values have been handled. I've validated the EDD as I go.

Have searched for relevant terms to see ifam missing anything.

Have made sure the Reference Page definitely has the WarningElectrical frame, see second pic above.

Then I re-import the EDD, and check out results.

No go. Keep getting results shown in first pic above.

Do not know where to go from here. If have any possible tips, please say.

I appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myrna,

You say that you imported the EDD into the book file. You need to import it into the book components as well. You can do so by selecting all book files in the book window and then invoking File > Import > Element Definitions.

If your "bold" character format is defined in the book components, you won't get the warnin messages you do for the book.

Here are some other details that may be relevant to your work:

1. File > Import > Element Definitions checks the file from which you are importing. If that document is an EDD, FrameMaker interprets the EDD to build a new set of element definitions in the destination document. If the source document is not an EDD, it simply replaces the element definitions in the destination document with those in the source.

2. If you take my suggestion to import element definitions into all the book components at once, if you import from the EDD, then FrameMaker reinterprets the EDD for each book component. That usually dosn't matter (although it could be slow if the EDD is huge). However, if FrameMaker generates an error log when you import, then you may get a new log file for each book component. Closing such files, especially if they are identical, can be a pain.

Instead, you can import element definitions from the EDD into the book or one  book component, review the messages in any log file, and if you want the new element definitions in all files, import element definitions from the one file that has the new definitions into the remaining files. Since the first file you changed is not an EDD, the second import will not generate new log files.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reply needed.

It Worked! The issue may have been basic on my end.

Am testing now to see what made the final difference: whether it was removing overrides when I imported the updated EDD OR selecting book and all the files before doing the EDD import.

A few clues can make a world of difference.

Thank You frameexpert. You got me here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow Lynne.

I think you are Totally on the right track.

Hadn't seen your reply yet.

Yes, selecting book and All the book files. Had tested actually earlier and would see file with imported EDD so this threw me off. Lynne, you rock!

THANKS for having my back.

Super appreciated this forum. One and All!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myra,

You are quite welcome. By the way, whether or not you remove overrides when importing element definitions can affect formatting, but cannot affect whether your new attribute value is available.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> cannot affect whether your new attribute value is available.

Excellent to know.

This was actually one of my last remaining questions.

Fabulous.

Go Lynne!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Good to see that your issue has been resolved.

I have sent you a private message. Please contact us if you need any further help in future regarding Adobe Framemaker.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines