• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In FM 2017, with Paragraph Designer set to As Is, setting one property affects another

Advisor ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker has always allowed users to modify some but not all

properties of selected paragraphs by:

1. Selecting the desired paragraphs, which may use different formats.

2. Opening the Paragraph Designer and using the Shift-F8 shortcut to set all properties to as is.

3. Changing the desired properties.

4. Clicking Apply

Doing so, sets the changed properties in the selected paragraph, and leaves all other properties unchanged. If the user then clicks in any of the modified paragraphs, the Designer shows all its properties.

This useful and familiar operation may work in some cases, but FM 2017 fails in at least one case: setting the Keep With Next property on the Pagination page sets the Position property on the Numbering Page to End of Paragraph. In addition, there are display problems with the designer. The problem is evident even if only one paragraph is selected:

1. Close FrameMaker if it is running.

2. Launch FrameMaker.

3. Create a new Portrait document.

4. Apply format Numbered to the only paragraph in the document. The paragraph is now numbered 1.

5. Open the Paragraph Designer and click on the Pagination tab.

6. With the focus in the Paragraph Designer, type Shift-F8. All fields are now set to As Is. In particular the white check box for Keep With Previous Paragraph now contains a smaller solid square.

7. Click in this box. The smaller square disappears so the box is now entirely white.

8. Click in the box again. The box now has a checkmark.

9. Click Apply.

10. Problem 1 (minor): The Designer still shows As Is for all fields instead of the current properties.

11. Problem 2 (major): Observe in the document window that the autonumber has moved from the start of the paragraph to the end even though you have not changed the property.

12. Click on the Numbering tab. The Designer now shows the Numbering page. All settings are shown As Is. Problem 3 (minor): The values in the Position and Character Format fields are grayed out, which is appropriate for As Is. However, the labels ("Position" and "Character Format") are also grayed out and so light they can barely be read. The user therefore cannot tell where in the Designer they would be set if the Designer were not set to As Is.

13. Open another document. The Designer is still set to As Is. Click in various pages. The actual settings do not appear.

14. Shut down FrameMaker and launch it again. The Paragraph Designer now shows actual settings.

--Lynne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynne,

When selecting multiple paras, what's the need to set all to As Is?

If you remove that step, and if you choose Update All, rather than Apply, does the issue still remain?

When, for instance, I have needed to change a property (say font color) of my H1, H2, H3, I could do so without ever using either the As Is and by using the Update All rather than the Apply function.

I can't recall ever getting unexpected behavior when using this technique to perform Global Update functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

I wasn't asking whether the steps I described were the best way to accomplish something or even if all the steps were necessary. I was reporting some very unexpected behavior given the steps I did take.

I have only seen a change on the Pagination page affect a property on the Numbering page when the entire window was set to As Is and I clicked Apply.

Apply All/Update Style wouldn't have worked in my particular situation because I wanted to change the selected paragraphs and not the associated paragraph catalog entries. While you are  correct that there was no need to set the entire window to As Is in that situation, doing so certainly should not have changed FM's behavior. In particular, it should not have caused the Position property to change.

By the way, my Problem 3 is incorrect. Once the designer has been set to As Is, current properties can be reshown by clicking the reset button in its lower left. I just expected it to reset automatically when I changed the insertion point in the document.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I can confirm those steps, Lynne. Very strange bug you've uncovered. You'll report it?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

I was having trouble with Tracker, but have reported the issue to the Adobe FM team.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect. And thanks for the heads up.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines