Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index issues

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two question:

1. I created a standard index,but don't know how to  the page number.

I don't have a index related reference page.

2. How to include the index in the table of content?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

To change the look of the page numbers after the index entries:

1. Open the index file.
  2. View > Reference pages
  3. Navigate to the IX reference page (often the last reference page)
  4. Click on the <$pagenum> building block (which controls the page numbers) and format the IndexIX ¶ tag to look the way you want.
  5. Update All
  6. When you update your book, the reference pages changes will take effect.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Note: you will want to format the Separators tag the same way. Click the first line and assign the same formatting. The

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I created a standard index,but don't know how to  the page number. I don't have a index related reference page.

Add the page numbers to the master pages of the IX.fm file.

2. How to include the index in the table of content?

If your TOC is already set up, and you just want to add the IndexTitle, right click the TOC.fm file in the book window > Set up Table of Contents. Scroll through the list on the right, and double click the IndexTitle (or whatever you called the title of the index) to add it to the TOC. Update the book. You will then need to format the IndexTitleTOC tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear BarbBinder,

thank you for your help.

For question no.1, can you advice how to add the page no. in the master page? I want to format the page number. I read a book to say that this should be done inthe reference page.

for questio no.2 I will create an index toc tag and try your method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear BarbBinder,

for question no.2, I treat index as an appendix and apply an chaptertitle to it, now it is included in the toc.

thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think perhaps I misunderstood your original question. Are you trying to add the document page numbers to the running heads? That happens on the master pages. Or are you trying to add page numbers after the index entries in the body of the document? That happens automatically when you use Add > Standard Index to a book file (or more rarely, Special > Standard Index to a document file). When you use one of those two commands, FrameMaker generates an index, and automatically includes the page numbers. In a generated index, an IX reference page will be added to the file. You can control the structure of the generated file by manipulating the building blocks on the reference page.

I don't have a index related reference page.

When you say you don't have an IX reference page in the index it sounds like perhaps it was user-generated, and not FrameMaker-generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear BarbBinder,

I am sorry I didn't make it clear. I have created a standard index into the book and the page number is included. but the format of the page number is not what I want. How can I change the page number format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the look of the page numbers after the index entries:

1. Open the index file.
  2. View > Reference pages
  3. Navigate to the IX reference page (often the last reference page)
  4. Click on the <$pagenum> building block (which controls the page numbers) and format the IndexIX ¶ tag to look the way you want.
  5. Update All
  6. When you update your book, the reference pages changes will take effect.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Note: you will want to format the Separators tag the same way. Click the first line and assign the same formatting. The separators control the spacing between the numbers, but also the commas and en dashes. Normally, you want the same typeface, size and style for those characters that you have selected for the page numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear BarbBinder,

thank you. it works.

Is the in reference page automatically created when the index is created?

I am sorry I have so many questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's OK. That's why we were are here.

Yes, when you create a generated file in FrameMaker (TOC, Index, List of Figures, List of Tables, etc.), FrameMaker creates an accompanying reference page. The reference page controls the structure, or presentation, of the data it collects from the source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines