Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert a new page with specified Master

Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a document with 10 pages, they are all 11x17 inches.

Page # 1, 3, 5, 7, 8 has 2 Columns Master Page.

Page # 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 has 1 Column Master Page.

Now I want to insert a new page (Page #1) and make it as a 1 Column Master Page.

• But if I insert a new page, all my content from exiting page 1 to 10 will shift to page 2 to 11. This willl also display 2 column info on 1 column and 1 conlumn info on 2 column.

I hope you understand my dilemma.

This is kind of complex for me to describe but can any one help me find a solution for this.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

The link I gave you explains how to use paragraphs and the MasterPageMaps reference page to trigger the application of a specific master page (note that you do have to use the Apply Master Pages function).

Also, your link takes me to Create a Post. I'm assuming you are trying to refer to the Insert new Page and Shift all Content Down, so I am editing the link for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like what the Apply Master Pages (AMP) feature of FM is for (and I'm doing exactly this in a current project). Let us know if you need to pointers on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

Yes please help me. I need to know more about Apply Master Pages.

I clicked on that earlier today, but it did not do anything, I mean whatever it did, I did not see any dialog box or any prompt or anyhing. So I have no idea what it did.

Please elaborate. I truly apprecaite your help.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the instructions here:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2015/using/using-framemaker-2015/frm_page_layout_pl/Assign_m...

Scroll down to see: Assign a master page to pages with specified paragraph tags

Note that for the Apply Master Pages command to work, you must have paragraph tags that always appear on the page you want a specific master page for and that those paragraph tags never appear on pages you do not want that master page for. In your situation, you'd need a paragraph tag guaranteed to always be on the 1-column page and never on the 2-column page, and a second paragraph tag guaranteed to always be on the 2-column page and never on the 1-column page.

However, there is a simpler solution for your situation. From the looks of things, when you insert that new page 1, all of your odd-numbered pages will be 1-column (I'm assuming that the 8 you typed was meant to be a 9, since all the other numbers for the pages originally meant to be 2-column were odd and 9 doesn't appear in listing for pages originally meant to be 1-column) and all your even-numbered pages will be 2-column. In that case, what you do is: 

To apply the 1-column master page:

1. Click Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage
  2. On the Master Page Usage dialog, select Custom and the 1-column master page name
  3. Select Pages 1 to 11
  4. Select Odd
  5. Deselect Even.
  6. Click Apply.

To apply the 2-column master page:

1. Click Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage
  2. On the Master Page Usage dialog, select Custom and the 2-column master page name
  3. Select Pages 1 to 11
  4. Select Even
  5. Deselect Odd.
  6. Click Apply.

If you expect to insert more pages at some point in the future and don't know if the 1-column/2-column sequence will remain valid, then set up the special paragraph tags and use the Apply Master Pages procedure referenced. It will alway work even if your pages go 1/2/2/1/1/2 etc.

If you can guarantee the 1/2/1/2 sequence, then the above process should work without having to create extra tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello linsims,

Thank you for your response. I did look into this and it is helpful.

However, I am also dealing with a document which has Master Pages applied randomly.

Please see my New Post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/insert-new-page-amp-shift-all-content-down-with-its-existi...

Do you think there is a solution for my new post?

or As content shifts down, I have to fix each page manually and re-apply Master Pages to it???

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link I gave you explains how to use paragraphs and the MasterPageMaps reference page to trigger the application of a specific master page (note that you do have to use the Apply Master Pages function).

Also, your link takes me to Create a Post. I'm assuming you are trying to refer to the Insert new Page and Shift all Content Down, so I am editing the link for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi linsims,

Appreciate your response. Apply Master Pages feature is new to me so I will have to try that out and it may take me some time.

Final question related to my Other Post (by the way thanks for updating link):

Is there a way to Insert New Page and Push Down remaining pages with its content without using Apply Master Pages table???

In any case, I appreciate your help and I will closeout this Topic.

Once again, Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think so. The only pair of master pages that can do that, I think, are Left and Right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines