• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invoking XSLT from Extendscript - where to put the XSLT file?

Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm growing increasingly fond of invoking XSLT from FrameMaker Extendscript. I can now consolidate formerly multi-tool, multi-step workflows into a single Extendscript.

But ... in scripts for distribution to others, I don't know where to put the XSLT file. FrameMaker wants a fully-qualified path for the XSLT stylesheet. My AppData folder seems right for "me", but the path will vary with the user. And without a fully-qualified path, FrameMaker looks for the XSLT stylesheet in the FrameMaker application folder -- not really an option because of Windows filesystem protections.

I don't want to tell my customers to "edit the Extendscript to point to your copy of the XSLT stylesheet". I could set the location in a config file, but even that doesn't seem optimal. How have others handled this issue?

-Alan

--

Alan Houser

Group Wellesley, Inc.

Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing

arh on Twitter

412-450-0532

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Hi Alan,

You can refer to the user's AppData folder like this:

$.getenv ('AppData');

On my system that gives me the path of the User's AppData/Roaming folder.

~Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan,

You can refer to the user's AppData folder like this:

$.getenv ('AppData');

On my system that gives me the path of the User's AppData/Roaming folder.

~Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thank you! I should have asked if the standard FrameMaker environment variables are available in Extendscript. You've answered my question!

-Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleased to help. There's another way which may work, but I've had problems with previously...

When you use ExtendScript's File or Folder objects you can use a tilde to indicate the user's home directory like this:

~/MyAppFolder/ which, on my system, would map to C:\Users\Ian\MyAppFolder\

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan,

you can also use properties of FrameMaker session object (app)

CurrentDir

BinDir

TmpDir

HomeDir

InitDir

SGMLDir

StructureDir

XmlDir

HelpDir

UserSettingsDir

UserHomeDir

UserHomeDir points to %appdata%/Adobe/FrameMaker/[version]

Not sure about UserSettingsDir, but I'm sure you'll find out

Hope this helps.

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian,

wasn't Aware of that $.getenv function.

Will save me some time in future 🙂

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of my code - Extendscript binaries, support files, XSL, etc are always placed in the user's AppData space. The main reason is that I have very quickly become bored with paranoid IT staff when asked to install some very useful timesaving scripts for their documentation people. That simply never worked. The user's AppData space belongs to the user and with today's enormous hard drives there is not really a valid reason not to replicate the code into each user's AppData space - as long as your code contains a command that allows easy updating from some network location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines