• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to change gap around anchored frame?

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a document with a lot of images in it, and I have been putting them in anchored frames set to "Below Current Line". Is there a way to adjust the spacing / gap between the paragraph above and the anchored frame? I know that I can make the anchored frame oversized compared to the image, but it would be nice to be able to have a consistent amount of spacing between the paragraph and the image.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Nope. There's no way to adjust the space above and below for an anchored frame. What you can do is put the anchor in a separate paragraph that has its own tag (A Anchor is what I call mine) and adjust the space above and below for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. There's no way to adjust the space above and below for an anchored frame. What you can do is put the anchor in a separate paragraph that has its own tag (A Anchor is what I call mine) and adjust the space above and below for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I kind of figured that that was the case, but was hopeful there might be something else. Maybe Adobe can add a feature like this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles:

I handle spacing the same way as Lin. If you are hoping that Adobe will add a spacing controls to a future version, the place to ask for it is here: Tracker.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Heading there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Charles,

Another approach is to put the anchored frames inside tables.

My reasons are:

• I can control the space above and below the table easily with the table margins. Otherwise I would need a dedicated paragraph format for the last paragraph in the table title for a proper spacing below.
  • At least in former FM versions the Keep with Next of the paragraph with the anchored frame and the figure title had not worked reliably for me. I do not know, if this always works correctly now.
  • In my 2-column layout I would need two sets of paragraph formats (table only in single column or table spans both columns) without the table approach.

I heard that tables should not be used for anchored frames for the export to HTML5. Generally this works for me. However, I noticed that several paragraphs in a table title are not supported in HTML. Therefore all paragraphs are concatenated.

However, this issue comes up when you use regular tables or tables with anchored frames. You will need a solution anyway. See here:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10987920#10987920

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried Reng​,

I have used tables to anchor images in the past, but it didn't flow right for this manual.

As to your mention of "Keep with Next" not always working; in FM2019 it is still a little finicky sometimes, but I have found that changing the Start from "Anywhere" to "Top of Column" usually fixes the issue when overlapping a column or page.

Regards,

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. That's correct. But that's an additional manual step.

I would want to rely on that FrameMaker really Keeps with Next, when I had activated this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines