• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to reset a numbering sequence in the same pgf style?

Participant ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a table that has 5 columns and 1 row where I'm naming the components of a drawing which is inserted into the above-straddled cell. Then I do copy this whole structure and paste it into the next page for the following drawing and its components. The pasted table of course does utilize the same pgf style in the 5x1 component naming cells from the former table and because of that, the numbers do start where they were left in the former table.

Is it possible to reset the numbering in the same paragraph style and in a specific text position? (By "specific text position" I mean that I want to reset the numbering in the cell of my choosing)

I don't want to create separate paragraph styles for each component table on separate pages because there are about 20 something of these component tables and it would create a mess in my pgf styles.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

You need two different paragraph tags. One to reset the numbering and the other for the actual numbering. You can have the first either in the first column or for the straddled cell you put your graphic in. My personal preference is to do the reset in the straddled cell.

As a matter of good practice, you should add a series label to the autonumbering, on the off chance that you have any other text that uses numbers in the same document. If you use D (for diagram), that would make the autonumbe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could reset the numbering with the table heading. Would this work?

Could you post a screenshot of an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that I'm getting where you are going with this but I'm not utilizing any table titles and my table contains 5 cells per page. The numbering options on table style settings are "As Is", "Row First" and "Column First". Could any of these settings solve my problem?

Framemaker.Numbered.Paragraph.on.Following.Tables.1.jpgFramemaker.Numbered.Paragraph.on.Following.Tables.2.jpgFramemaker.Numbered.Paragraph.on.Following.Tables.Table.Style.Basic.Settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need two different paragraph tags. One to reset the numbering and the other for the actual numbering. You can have the first either in the first column or for the straddled cell you put your graphic in. My personal preference is to do the reset in the straddled cell.

As a matter of good practice, you should add a series label to the autonumbering, on the off chance that you have any other text that uses numbers in the same document. If you use D (for diagram), that would make the autonumbering for the reset tag D:< =0>, and for the columns that need numbers D:<n+>.

Since you only have one row with numbers, it shouldn't make a difference whether the numbering is row first or column first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This community and the experts contributing to it are so amazing 🙂 I haven't tried your method yet but I did understand it immediately. I will report the result here but I already know that it will solve my issue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's done with a Diagram series as you've recommended. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines