• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a direct (minimal-step) way to replace a file in a book?

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to update an FM book.

As a freelance project, I've updated individual chapters in the book, renaming each file by appending "UPD" to the original file name. These are content chapters, not generated files (TOC, indexes, etc.). The renaming isn't optional - the owner of the book needs to know, on the filename level, which files have been updated by me.

Is there a direct, minimal-step way to replace, say, "Chap1" with "Chap1UPD"?

Or do I have to add "Chap1UPD," then manually delete "Chap1?"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

I'd say the simplest technique (and the one that will not break the links within the book) is to right click the chapter in the book window and use the rename command after you complete the updates on that chapter.

From the online help:

Rename files

When you rename a file in a book, FrameMaker renames the corresponding file on the disk and updates cross-references, hypertext links, and text inset links in other files in the book.

Select the file you want to rename, and either choose Edit > Rename

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er - is this an operation that falls under renaming files in a book?

Sullivan & Quatro tell me how to do that -- by editing the file name after displaying filenames in the book.

If I simply rename the file, does FM automatically draw content from the new file when the book is compiled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say the simplest technique (and the one that will not break the links within the book) is to right click the chapter in the book window and use the rename command after you complete the updates on that chapter.

From the online help:

Rename files

When you rename a file in a book, FrameMaker renames the corresponding file on the disk and updates cross-references, hypertext links, and text inset links in other files in the book.

Select the file you want to rename, and either choose Edit > Rename or right-click and choose Rename.

Type the new name of the file and press Enter. When the alert message appears, click OK to update other files in the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb.

Need a bit of clarification - will I need to save a copy of the original file in a different folder? I need to preserve the original file as a paper trail.

If so, is this the right workflow?:

1. Save a copy of original file in a different folder (or maybe just "OriginalFIle.fm.old"?)
  2. Delete the original file in the book folder
  3. Open my updated file and change its name back to the original file name.
  4. Open FM in the book mode, change the name to, e.g., "OriginalFIleUPD.fm"

I'm asking because the description seems to say that FM simply renames the file - it doesn't permit the substitution of an updated file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about:

-When you sit down to enter edits, begin by copying the chapter to a folder designated for the older versions.

-Open the original, enter the edits.

-Save and close.

-Rename the edited file in the book window.

And are you aware that FM works with CMSs? (CMS=content management systems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks.

Re: CMS - is there one for unstructured Framemaker? None is appearing from a cursory Web search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look up WebDAV or check out this forum - FrameMaker CMS Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help, too:
CMS Integration | FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Jeff & Barb.

I have some exploring to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines