• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a Framemaker Extendscript object model?

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for any information on this topic. I have used FM for decades, but never delved into scripting. Now that I wish to do so, I find that all sorts of Adobe products have object models available, but there does not seem to be anything for FM. I am very new to scripting, as well, so perhaps I am not even asking the right question?

Please assist, if you can?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Yes there is an Object Model for FrameMaker. The most visible representation is in the ExtendScript Tool Kit's Object Model Viewer. You can access it from the ESTK help menu or by simply pressing F1.

omv.png

There is also a PDF file with a great deal of essential FrameMaker information for all Objects, Properties and Methods. However before you get into FrameMaker scripting, you will need to get familiar with JavaScript programming because the core of ExtendScript is a rather elderly version of the popul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sure what you mean with object model. Yes of course it has one

if you are asking for "IntelliSense", check the small dropdown right to the debugging Buttons and activate it, if no IntelliSense appears, when you select object model in left dropdown.

If you are asking for help, press F1 for a quick overview and use ExtendScript reference from here:

FrameMaker Developer Center

Hope this helps.

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is an Object Model for FrameMaker. The most visible representation is in the ExtendScript Tool Kit's Object Model Viewer. You can access it from the ESTK help menu or by simply pressing F1.

omv.png

There is also a PDF file with a great deal of essential FrameMaker information for all Objects, Properties and Methods. However before you get into FrameMaker scripting, you will need to get familiar with JavaScript programming because the core of ExtendScript is a rather elderly version of the popular scripting language. Again from the ESTK Help menu click on Adobe Intro To Scripting. The full detail is in JavaScript Tools Guide CC.

It may be that your FrameMaker installation does not include the ESTK. That can be downloaded as a free component of the Adobe Creative Cloud. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-apps-download.html

Once you get started there's always help and encouragement on this forum. Enjoy your scripting!

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also go to the site below and get the chm or html files based on the XML file that feeds the Object Model Viewer. I find it easier to use the chm file rather than ExtendScript's Object Model Viewer.

Indesign JavaScript Help

Scroll down until you see the FrameMaker 12 entry.

Also, I recommend downloading the FrameMaker FDK (Frame Developers Kit). The user manual is a good "theory guide" for understanding the FrameMaker object model. The examples will all be in C, but since ExtendScript (and FrameScript) is a wrapper for the FDK, you get a good idea of how FrameMaker objects and properties are organized. The ExtendScript documentation is pretty weak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do choose to use the CHM files you may need to unblock them before they show anything but the table of contents. Just right click on the chm file ten select Properties. In the dialog box check Unblock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick(?),

I got access to the InDesign JS Help site, and will definitely be spending time there! And poking around in your blog, as well.

Thanks!

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I want to thank you for the quick responses. I have no idea what "intellisense" is, so I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

I know I have a lot to learn, but I was (and am still) hoping to work from both ends--i.e., Learn JS and ES concurrently--and I will definitely explore the resources mentioned.

Unfortunately, I am doing this at my office, and that link to the InDesign JScript help is blocked. I'll see if I can get an exception added to be able to view it. And (I must ask) how applicable will the InDesign information be to FrameMaker?

Anyway, thanks again, and any more information or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the Jongware site has mostly InDesign information, he provides the FrameMaker chm and html files as a courtesy.

Otherwise, the InDesign and FrameMaker object models are quite different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, check out my blog. I haven't posted much lately, but there is some good ExtendScript information on it:

http://frameautomation.com

Here are a couple of more links:

Extending FrameMaker

FrameMaker ExtendScript Samples - West Street Consulting

The last site is by Russ Ward who is a frequent contributor to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"IntelliSense" is when you type something and ESTK Shows suitable functions you can use. Sometime this is not there, so you have to select it in the right nearly invisible dropdown menu on the right top corner.

Russ Ward has some great examples online which could give you a good starting point. FrameMaker ExtendScript Samples - West Street Consulting

There are also some sample scripts shipped with FrameMaker. You can find it here "$FMInstallation\samples\ScriptsAndUtilities"

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again,

Lots of great information! I will follow up. Unfortunately, I also have to get my regular work done, so this will be a free-time project. If I ever get any!

I don't want to slight anyone by picking one of you as "correct." but if I need to do that to close this thread (or whatever) you can choose amongst yourselves, if you please, and let me know?

Thanks again!

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines