• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way of adding single curly quotes to a cross reference definition?

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I change the curly double quotation marks in one of the standard cross-reference formats to single curly quotation marks, the opening (left-hand) quotation mark displays as a closing (right-hand) quotation mark. Is there a work-around to enter in the x-reference definition field that will correct this?

Thanks for any help.... mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Try entering \xd4 instead of the quote mark. That's the special code used in fields for the open single quote mark.

\xd5 is the close single quote mark.

\xd2 is the open double quote, and \xd3 is the close double quote.

There should be a PDF somewhere on the Adobe site that lists all these, because they're often used when running a search and replace, but it's been a while since I looked for it. You want a file that contains "FrameMaker Character Sets".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try entering \xd4 instead of the quote mark. That's the special code used in fields for the open single quote mark.

\xd5 is the close single quote mark.

\xd2 is the open double quote, and \xd3 is the close double quote.

There should be a PDF somewhere on the Adobe site that lists all these, because they're often used when running a search and replace, but it's been a while since I looked for it. You want a file that contains "FrameMaker Character Sets".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. Problem solved.

I downloaded a copy of the character sets for future use, I used to have a quick reference card for FrameMaker 7 laying around somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put together a shortcut reference for myself a while back. It's a bit idiosyncratic, since it's fairly specific to the sorts of things I write, but I'd be more than happy to send you a copy if you would like one. It doesn't have the quote shortcuts in it, but if I send you the Frame version you can modify it to your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for the kind offer linsims but I'm already mid way through editing the character set file that I downloaded earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike:

You can also just use the left apostrophe—it's on the same key as the tilde (~) and right below the Esc key.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. This also worked. I'm embarrassed to say that I never realised that single quotation key below the Esc key existed (and I've only been using a keyboard for 40 years!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know! Most people don't, and that's why I chimed in after linsims had already given you an answer!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines