Highlighted

Is there a way to "Go Back" after using a cross-reference?

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing some monster (500-1000 page) documents right now and using a ton of cross-references. This may be more of a PDF issue than a Frame issue, but is there a way to embed a button or funcitonthat allows users to "go back" after using a cross-reference? I find myself saying "Doh!" a lot when landing on page 17 and trying to remember which page in the 400s I came from. I imagine my audience will too.

Thanks a million, community, and happy weekend!
Meredith

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a way to "Go Back" after using a cross-reference?

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm writing some monster (500-1000 page) documents right now and using a ton of cross-references. This may be more of a PDF issue than a Frame issue, but is there a way to embed a button or funcitonthat allows users to "go back" after using a cross-reference? I find myself saying "Doh!" a lot when landing on page 17 and trying to remember which page in the 400s I came from. I imagine my audience will too.

Thanks a million, community, and happy weekend!
Meredith

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 28, 2017 0
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meredith,

this function is built directly into Acrobat: Just enable the respective buttons in the Acrobat toolbar.

Bernd

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2017 2
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is that respective tool?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi josephw1448933:

It will be on the toolbar in Acrobat. Follow the steps in my initial response (above) to add it, because it is not there as a default.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 0
K.Daube LATEST
Advocate ,
Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And not to forget the keyboard: In Acrobat you can use ALT+arrow-left to go back to the previous location, but only if you jumped to the new location, not  by scrolling...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2018 1
Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meredith:

My additional two cents:

Yes, Acrobat has a back button, but it's not showing by default. One of the first things I teach in an Acrobat class is how to show the page navigation buttons. My observation is that almost none of my students customize the toolbar before coming to class, so if you are going to use the built in button, be prepared to explain how to how to show it.

The screen shots are from Reader DC, it's the same in Acrobat DC and the last few versions:

Default toolbar:

Acrobat Readerss_001.png

Right click the toolbar > Show Page Navigation Tools > Previous View:Acrobat Readerss_002.png

This is after showing All Page Navigation tools (which includes back and forward):Acrobat Readerss_003.png

You can build these buttons into FrameMaker (I teach this in my advanced class) but as Bernd said, because it's in the Acrobat/Reader interface, I use it more as a way to practice working with hyperlinks in FrameMaker—unless someone is planning on running the PDF Full Screen—in which case I recommend building the page navigation hyperlinks into the file.

Acrobat Pro DCss_001.png

Here is how to add the link to jump back in FrameMaker. You can add it over a button (as in my image directly above) or to text.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Final note: when you test the back button in FrameMaker, it only returns to the correct page if the x-ref was in the same file. When you make your book into a PDF that combines the chapters, then it works as expected.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one access the drop down showing in the screen snap above? I'm running unstructured FrameMaker 2017, and I see no Hypertext choice on any tool bar or drop down menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2017 0
Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in with the Markers panel in FM12; not sure where it's migrated to in FM2017, but you should be able to use the new "find commands" feature to just start typing "hypertext" and it should jump to it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2017 0
Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert>Hypertext

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2017 0