• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to update all cross references whilst keeping their formatting?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have inherited a Framemaker document that has a lot of cross references. These cross references have the format set as Title_and_Page (the cross reference displays the heading and what page it is on).

When I make any changes to the document these page numbers soon become out of date. It would be extrememly useful if I knew a way of updating all cross references in a document and still keeping the formatting. I have tried updating them using the Edit menu - Update Rerences option but this just replaces them with plain text, which is not what I want.

Is there a way of updating these cross references and keep the Title_and_Page formatting setting?

I am using structured FrameMaker 10.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The formatting is actually 'Heading&Page' not 'Title_and_Page'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the following menu option:

Edit > Update References...

and then select "All Cross-References" in the dialogue box ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried that, it replaces the cross references but does not keep the title and page format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating will only change what the x-ref format specifies, so if you're x-ref appearance/content changes, then the definition for that format has been changed. If you could please show the definition in the original (i.e. out-of-date xref) vs. the ones that change after the update, then that might provide a clue. Have you also used a new EDD with the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found that I can update these references without them losing their formatting by selecting the book, and selecting the menu item Edit - Update book. If you leave all of the checkboxes that are selected as default, All Cross-References is one of them. Then click Update and everything gets updated with the formatting intact. I thought I should post this here in case it helps anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused.

You can update the cross-references of the files in the book individually - one file at a time: Edit > Update References.

Or you can update the cross-references of all files in the book - all at once: Edit - Update book.

There should be no difference in cross-references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me the Edit - Update References did not keep the format Heading&Page. However, the Edit - Update Book does. I too am confused. I think they should work the same too, but for my files they don't. Anyway, the Edit - Update Book works for me so I have closed this ticket now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines