• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an easy way to convert an FM 2019 file to an FM 2017 file

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A contractor sent in some FM files that I cannot open. He worked on them in a trial version of FM 2019. I only have FM 2017. Is there an easy way to convert the FM 2019 files to FM 2017?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cleanest way: put a trial version of FM2019 on another machine. Open the file. Save as 2017 (it's an option), or as MIF.

Adventurous way: try a heroic open, if it still exists in FM2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on another machine? You can have more than one version of Frame on a machine at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can, but probably shouldn't, if you want to keep your production environment clean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I always run the last two versions. I've had 2017 and 2019 running together since 2019 was released with no issues.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do that in 2 ways :

• Save FM2019 version files to Previous version i.e FM2017 version ".fm" format
  • Or you can save to MIF format which can be opened in any of these version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a save as to FrameMake 2017 on a machine with FrameMaker 2019.  When I try to open it on in Frame 2017 it fails (saying it was created from a different version of Frame).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Zerkfitting,

Are you really sure that you saved the files as FM 2017?

I know that you can miss this easily.

You can check the version, when you open the FM file with a text editor. In the first line it says <MakerFile 15.0> for FM 2019 and <MakerFile 14.0> for FM 2017. Of course do not save in the text editor!

And of course MIF works as well.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are fully patched up in FM2017 when trying to open the "Saved As 2017" file version. If it still doesn't work, go the MIF route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines