Highlighted

Is there any way to rename book file names 'in bulk'?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I post a feature request, I'd like to know if there is any way to change book file names other than by doing it one file at a time in the book. I can't be the only person who has needed to rename a set of book files all in the same way. For example, change book files from Alpha-1Intro, Alpha-2Getting Started, Alpha-3Doing X, and so on, to Beta-1Intro, Beta-2Getting Started, etc. For these cases, a filename "bulk replace" function that would allow you to change part of the names in the same way would be so helpful. Is this asking too much, or is it too unique a need? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there any way to rename book file names 'in bulk'?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I post a feature request, I'd like to know if there is any way to change book file names other than by doing it one file at a time in the book. I can't be the only person who has needed to rename a set of book files all in the same way. For example, change book files from Alpha-1Intro, Alpha-2Getting Started, Alpha-3Doing X, and so on, to Beta-1Intro, Beta-2Getting Started, etc. For these cases, a filename "bulk replace" function that would allow you to change part of the names in the same way would be so helpful. Is this asking too much, or is it too unique a need? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2016 0
Advisor ,
Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean, keep the book structure but update the chapter files it points to? Save [a copy of] the .book file as .mif, and turn your text editor loose on the  FileName constructs!

<FileName `<c\>Alpha-2Getting Started.fm'>

Save the updated .mif file with its own name, of course, then open it in FM. You'll probably* need to tweak any generated files such as the ToC.

* probably is forum shorthand for can't immediately remember the exact details, but thought I'd better mention it in case

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL – love it – probably*

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much for the suggestion. I'll gve it a try!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2016 0