• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Framemaker 11

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book created in FrameMaker 11. One of the chapters/files is not allowing me to make changes in it at all nor is it letting me even click the cursor anywhere on the document. I am sure it's just a setting but all the menus are different so I have not been able to figure it out myself.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Ok! It's a locked doc, but the toolbar is missing so press these four keys sequentially (not at one time): Esc F l k

(that's a shift+f for an uppercase F)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet it was locked accidentally. There is a lock icon on the quick access toolbar, right next to the Print button. Does clicking it unlock the file?

VMware Fusionss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not appear that it was locked. That was my first thought as well. When I click on the lock button, a message pops up that says "FrameMaker will make this book a view-only."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the document window (on the right), not in the book window, and try again. You are describing a locked document and not a locked book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just closed the entire book before you sent the reply. I went back in and opened only the document. Now I don't even see the normal menus. Also when I opened it, it doesn't tell me that it is locked nor ask me if I want to unlock as I have seen in the past. I had an issue with my mouse completely locking up on me (don't ask I have weird problems all the time it seems). I was able to manually close out all my programs before restarting my pc. Perhaps this is what caused the issue.

can I try opening the backup file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about rights to the location where it lives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a read-only nor is the folder on our server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! It's a locked doc, but the toolbar is missing so press these four keys sequentially (not at one time): Esc F l k

(that's a shift+f for an uppercase F)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it. Thank you Barb! Once again you are a life saver. Adding this to my list of tricks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always happy to help, Christine.

(And I see it is marked as correct—did I do that (by accident) or did you mark it as correct?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to try restarting my pc. Perhaps it doesn't want to cooperate with me and maybe just needs that refresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to restart Christine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so NOT A FAN of the padlock sitting on the quick access toolbar. It's too easy to click and not know it. And it doesn't change what it looks like. 

Here's what you showed me that told me it was locked. Compare the menus:

Unlocked document:
VMware Fusionss_006.png

Locked document (shorter menus and now there is a navigation menu):

VMware Fusionss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines