• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues printing correct font to PDF

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else had this issue, or have possible reasons why it is happening?

I am using FrameMaker 2015 on Windows 8.1.

Fonts used are HelveticaNeueLT Pro TrueType family. Fonts are new within the last 4 months.

Seemingly out of the blue, my Save As...PDF (using this option to get correct CMYK colors) will stop printing many of the Helvetica fonts properly. They come out fat and blocky, as if the correct fonts are not installed on my system (but they are).

I'm trying to see if I can track this down to Windows automatic updates, but can't figure out what on my system is changing to break the print process.

Last time it happened, a reinstall of FrameMaker fixed the issue. This time, reinstall has no effect. IT has also tried reinstalling the fonts, to no avail.

My PDF settings are set to embed all of the TrueType fonts in use into the document.

I just don't know what else to look at. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Diane

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Hi Matt - yes, I do force the embedding of our fonts.

For this case, for the fix I had to save each individual .fm file as .mif, close the file, reopen, save as .fm again.

It appears that even though my content is being copied from a .txt file (using Microsoft NotePad) some kind of junk is getting copied into the FM file(s), and then of course if I update a paragraph/table style and import to other files, it's like a disease.

So I haven't learned the exact cause, but I have a workaround. Here's hop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result when saving-as in RGB (vs. CMYK)?

In addition to FM, what versions of Acrobat (including Std, Pro) are installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2015.023.20070

Adobe Acrobat Distiller version 15.23.2005......

Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.19

No the issue does not exist when printed with RGB colors!!!! WHAT ON EARTH????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also check, if you are on the latest FM 2015 Update (Update 5). There were several CMYK related issues fixed of the time.

Go to Help > Updates in FM 2015 main menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing Update 5 did not resolve the issue. (I did try a reboot.)

Any other ideas? This problem is going to become extremely critical for my company here in a day or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already tried the > File > Print > print to ps file and run the ps through distiller, route?

Please also send a mail to tcssup@adobe.com and put me on CC (gentz at adobe.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan -

I hadn't tried this since installing the Update 5. It is printing fonts correctly this route. However, everything I've read states this route only generates RGB colors and we need CMYK for our professional printing vendor.

Can you verify whether the Print Book... option does indeed only generate RGB?

Thank you!

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I can see that the color is RGB...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Have you already tried the > File > Print > print to ps file and run the ps through distiller, route?

In that regard, the system is apt to have multiple Postscript-like printer drivers installed (AdobePs, MS Generic Ps, PDFwriter, Distiller, PDF995, etc.), and this problem might be further sensitive to what default driver is configured when running FM.

Due to the urgency, separately inquire if the print shop can accept a Postscript file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - we are a medical device company and have to do rigorous review of the file that will actually be printed. This was working two weeks ago - there has to be a way to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried creating a PDF Job Options that forces download of your finicky font?

Here's a screenshot of the Distiller Job Options window that would force embedding of the Raleway-Black font.

I've had various fonts that require this over the years, (but Raleway isn't one of them...I just picked it as an example)

Capture21.png

-Matt

www.techcomm.tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt - yes, I do force the embedding of our fonts.

For this case, for the fix I had to save each individual .fm file as .mif, close the file, reopen, save as .fm again.

It appears that even though my content is being copied from a .txt file (using Microsoft NotePad) some kind of junk is getting copied into the FM file(s), and then of course if I update a paragraph/table style and import to other files, it's like a disease.

So I haven't learned the exact cause, but I have a workaround. Here's hoping I don't have this issue for a very, very, very, very long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...so doing a MIF wash (saving as MIF, then reopening the file) worked to clear out some cruft in the file.

Looking into the MIF file with a text editor would likely give you a hint as to what was creating the issue. It sounds like you'd find a boldish Helvetica specified, with a Bold applied to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's what I figured out, Matt: it's actually a reboot of my computer that is doing the trick. Anytime I print to a hardware color printer the issue returns. I'm working with Adobe to figure out either why FM isn't picking up the correct settings after that, or what is happening in my version of Windows to prevent this from happening. I'll re-post once I have the golden answer. Very interesting that other people are not seeing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because most of us have the SetPrint plug-in installed and our default "printer" inside FM is the Adobe PDF one. Just a guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I'm not mistaken, you'll see the printer reset each time you restart Fm.

As Jeff mentioned, the free SetPrint utility from Sundorne

Sundorne Communications - SetPrint

will help you set the Adobe PDF printer as your FrameMaker default, and should resolve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines