Has anyone else had this issue, or have possible reasons why it is happening?
I am using FrameMaker 2015 on Windows 8.1.
Fonts used are HelveticaNeueLT Pro TrueType family. Fonts are new within the last 4 months.
Seemingly out of the blue, my Save As...PDF (using this option to get correct CMYK colors) will stop printing many of the Helvetica fonts properly. They come out fat and blocky, as if the correct fonts are not installed on my system (but they are).
I'm trying to see if I can track this down to Windows automatic updates, but can't figure out what on my system is changing to break the print process.
Last time it happened, a reinstall of FrameMaker fixed the issue. This time, reinstall has no effect. IT has also tried reinstalling the fonts, to no avail.
My PDF settings are set to embed all of the TrueType fonts in use into the document.
I just don't know what else to look at. Does anyone have any ideas?
Same result when saving-as in RGB (vs. CMYK)?
In addition to FM, what versions of Acrobat (including Std, Pro) are installed?
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2015.023.20070
Adobe Acrobat Distiller version 15.23.2005......
Adobe Reader XI version 11.0.19
No the issue does not exist when printed with RGB colors!!!! WHAT ON EARTH????
Please also check, if you are on the latest FM 2015 Update (Update 5). There were several CMYK related issues fixed of the time.
Go to Help > Updates in FM 2015 main menu.
Installing Update 5 did not resolve the issue. (I did try a reboot.)
Any other ideas? This problem is going to become extremely critical for my company here in a day or two.
Hi Stefan -
I hadn't tried this since installing the Update 5. It is printing fonts correctly this route. However, everything I've read states this route only generates RGB colors and we need CMYK for our professional printing vendor.
Can you verify whether the Print Book... option does indeed only generate RGB?
Actually, I can see that the color is RGB...
re: Have you already tried the > File > Print > print to ps file and run the ps through distiller, route?
In that regard, the system is apt to have multiple Postscript-like printer drivers installed (AdobePs, MS Generic Ps, PDFwriter, Distiller, PDF995, etc.), and this problem might be further sensitive to what default driver is configured when running FM.
Due to the urgency, separately inquire if the print shop can accept a Postscript file.
No - we are a medical device company and have to do rigorous review of the file that will actually be printed. This was working two weeks ago - there has to be a way to fix it.
Have you tried creating a PDF Job Options that forces download of your finicky font?
Here's a screenshot of the Distiller Job Options window that would force embedding of the Raleway-Black font.
I've had various fonts that require this over the years, (but Raleway isn't one of them...I just picked it as an example)
Hi Matt - yes, I do force the embedding of our fonts.
For this case, for the fix I had to save each individual .fm file as .mif, close the file, reopen, save as .fm again.
It appears that even though my content is being copied from a .txt file (using Microsoft NotePad) some kind of junk is getting copied into the FM file(s), and then of course if I update a paragraph/table style and import to other files, it's like a disease.
So I haven't learned the exact cause, but I have a workaround. Here's hoping I don't have this issue for a very, very, very, very long time.
Interesting...so doing a MIF wash (saving as MIF, then reopening the file) worked to clear out some cruft in the file.
Looking into the MIF file with a text editor would likely give you a hint as to what was creating the issue. It sounds like you'd find a boldish Helvetica specified, with a Bold applied to it.
Well, here's what I figured out, Matt: it's actually a reboot of my computer that is doing the trick. Anytime I print to a hardware color printer the issue returns. I'm working with Adobe to figure out either why FM isn't picking up the correct settings after that, or what is happening in my version of Windows to prevent this from happening. I'll re-post once I have the golden answer. Very interesting that other people are not seeing this problem.
Probably because most of us have the SetPrint plug-in installed and our default "printer" inside FM is the Adobe PDF one. Just a guess...
If I'm not mistaken, you'll see the printer reset each time you restart Fm.
As Jeff mentioned, the free SetPrint utility from Sundorne
will help you set the Adobe PDF printer as your FrameMaker default, and should resolve your issue.