• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Appendix Title in TOC

Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book file that has one appendix file ("Appendix A: Event Codes"). In the appendix, the word "Appendix" is tagged Chapter.num new, the letter "A" is tagged Chap.Num, and "Event Codes" is tagged Appendix name. My TOC file is set up to include paragraphs tagged Appendix.name, Chapter.name, Head1, Head2, and Index Title.    

In the generated TOC, the appendix appears as "Appendix Event Codes: Event Codes" instead of "Appendix A: Event Codes." I tried adding the Chap.Num tag to the list of paragraphs included in the TOC, but that didn't work. Does anyone know what mistake I'm making?

Thank you,

Cameo

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Hi Cameo:

View > Reference Pages > TOC(cont) 7 of 13

Update the building blocks from:

Screenshot 2018-04-27 09.23.05.png

to:

Screenshot 2018-04-27 09.18.06.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cameo:

How have you indicated to FrameMaker that Appendix A has the chapter number set to A?

The correct way:

1. Open Appendix A. Delete the letter A and insert the <$chapnum> variable. Save the file.
  2. Right click Appendix A in the book window > Numbering > Chapter:
    Chapter # 1, Format: ALPHABETIC, Set
  3. Update the TOC.

If that takes care of A, on the B. Insert the <$chapnum> variable. Then set the numbering to Format > ALPHABETIC and Continue Numbering from Previous Chapter in book.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I followed the steps above, and my TOC now has a new entry: Appendix A: A. It also still shows "Appendix Event Codes: Event Codes" right under the new entry.

-Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Cameo. I'm trying to recreate this from your description, so let me try it again.

1. My interpretation of your description is that In the Appendices there are three paragraph tags (formatting doesn't matter) to identify the appendix. The A on Chap.Num is added via the <$chapnum> variable.
    Screenshot 2018-04-18 07.25.59.png
  2. In Set up Table of Contents, Fm is pulling in Appendix.name and not the other two, as per "My TOC file is set up to include paragraphs tagged Appendix.name, Chapter.name, Head1, Head2, and Index Title".
  3. On the TOC reference page, the paragraph tagged Appendix.NameTOC looks like this.
    Screenshot 2018-04-18 08.06.06.png
  4. When you update the TOC, the result is:
    Screenshot 2018-04-18 08.08.12.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cameo:

View > Reference Pages > TOC(cont) 7 of 13

Update the building blocks from:

Screenshot 2018-04-27 09.23.05.png

to:

Screenshot 2018-04-27 09.18.06.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Barb!

That did the trick.

Best,

Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So this question is answered? Just in time! 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines