Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep getting "unresolved cross-reference" but can't find any

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just started using FM 2015, unstructured. Windows 8.

When I update the book, I get an error message saying there's an unresolved cross reference. When I open the chapter and search for Unresolved Cross-Reference using the Find dialog, it comes back Not Found. I even searched the entire book and it didn't find any unresolved cross references. So I don't know how to fix the problem and I can't build the book.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joyce

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Master Pages and search there.

View > Reference Pages and search there.

Those are the usual suspects. If still not found, we get into exotic territory, such as Text Insets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing in Frame 2015. I tried that; also tried updating the references. I also searched for "any cross reference" and verified that they were all OK. Still no help. Clicking on any of the links in the error log takes me to a seemingly random page within the document: always the same page, but one with no apparent errors on it. All of the errors are in a chapter of the document that I got from my client. There were no issues with the chapters that I generated. The imported chapter was also Frame 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Clicking on any of the links in the error log takes me to a seemingly random page within the document: always the same page, but one with no apparent errors on it.

That makes me suspect invisible content, for which there are a number of possibilities. The top suspect is text flowed out of sight in a text frame or table cell, if not off the page entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there any issues in the files of a book (i.e. missing fonts, inconsistency warnings, etc.) The file won't be opened silently during a book update. If the file can't be opened, this may result in broken cross-refs between files. However, if you open the files individually (and deal with the error/warning messages), then the cross-refs will be correct.

Open all files in a book before you do an update. This will take care of these issues (but you should fix those to begin with) and allow an update to properly go to completion. You also then have the option of an undo, as the open files are not yet saved - whereas just updating the book, silently opens and saves the files (i.e. no undo capability).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved; I saved the offending chapter as a MIF (2015), then opened the MIF and saved it to fm. All of the unresolved cross references disappeared. I'm back in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines