Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large file size when using Publish in FrameMaker 2019

Participant ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since I upgraded to FrameMaker 2019, when I Publish to PDF, my file sizes are about 3x larger than when I used Save as PDF in FrameMaker 2015.

My workaround is to print to post script, then distill to PDF. Small file, good graphics.

I read in another post to generate the PDF then optimize the PDF but I found the graphics quality suffered too much.

I have read other posts on this topic but it seems that when I edit the STS file to change settings, and when I change settings for PDF Printer instance, the file size doesn't change. I am not sure if the Publish engine references the PDF Printer settings or not.

I am not sure if this is related, but when I installed FM2019, I had to manually copy some resource files to get my Welcome screen to work. Are there resources files related to pointing to the correct STS file perhaps?

Thanks!

TOPICS
PDF output , Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Hi, 

This issue was fixed in FM2020 and is available in both FM2020 and FM2022. Request you to upgrade to the latest version and try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, the Publish route uses a completely new engine for PDF generation. Tinkering with the Settings for PDF output should give you the lead on fixing up the size issue. BTW - make sure you have updated to the latest patch - there were PDF fixes in it (IIRC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure I am up to the latest patch...when I go Help> Updates, I get a message that my app is up to date.

It doesn't seem to matter what settings I use, the file size isn't changing. I can use the "Smallest File Size" or "High Quality Print" PDF printer presets and there is no change in file size. I can cut the DPI from 600 to 300 in the "Smallest File Size" preset and there is no change to file size.

Am I doing it right: edit the presets for the PDF Printer in Windows> Devices and Printers, then in FrameMaker Publish dialog, edit the STS to use the preferred preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently switched to FM 2019. We had been using Distiller to generate PDFs, rather than the Publish option in Framemaker. But we made some changes to our documents to add shading to the tables we use for notes. The note use transparent PNG files, so we decided to switch to using the Publish option because Distiller cannot render transparent PNG files without putting a white background behind it. Long story short, our PDF files are HUGE. For example, a document that produced a High Quality PDF via Distiller was 24 MB (16MB with Standard setting). However, no matter which setting (Smallest file size to High quality) I use in the Framemaker PDF settings I end up with a 98MB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CMSimard: I agree with Jeff, and will add that my understanding is that using the Publish pod (Save as PDF is the same thing as it uses the .sts file in the Publish pod) produces a better and more modern PDF than going the old route of using Distiller.

The file size of the PDF is largely dependent on the compression of the graphics. What are you doing with the PDF? Is it meant to be viewed solely on screen? Printed on an in-house printer? Being sent our for commercial printing? The document intent should guide you to selecting the correct Preset Name (aka job options file) with the correct amount of compression for the images. 

Acrobat offers the PDF Optimizer to correct this decision after the fact, but if you make the right choice at the beginning, you should not have to use it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main purpose of my PDF is for onscreen viewing, with the potential for in-house laser printing. The file size does not change no matter what preset I use. Smallest File Size, High Quality Print, ones I customize. They all come out with a couple of KB of eachother in filesize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried using the Publish function with different presets but the file size is always the same within about 2KB. It is running 3x larger than prior to FrameMaker 2019 and 3x larger than when I print to postscript then distill to PDF. My main use is PDF viewed online, with occassional printing to standard laser printer. Whether I choose the High Quality Print preset or the Smallest File preset, or hack down the DPI and highly compress graphics in a custom preset, the file size is not changing.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have logged a bug for this.

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-7293

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug I logged is marked fixed/closed in Adobe's bug tracker. Does anyone know when the next FrameMaker 2019 update will come out, presumably containing this fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue. PDFs are the same regardless of which publishing preset is used.

Any news on a resolution?

Sorry for responding to an older thread. I can not use the distiller path which works, but distiller ignores .png images with transparent backgrounds, so it's a deal breaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zaf26022044eqrg - what version of FM are you running? Are you completely patched up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have FM2019 Version: 15.0.8.979

I believe this is the latest unless there are "patches" that I am unaware of.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that was the last FM2019 one - I wouldn't expect any action on this issue to be found in FM2019 - you need to try out FM2022 to see if it's been fixed in there. If it's still misbehaving, then you need to fire up a bug report in the Tracker (https://tracker.adobe.com/).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! I have a perpetual 2019 license. Not sure it would be cost-effective to upgrade to FM 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're not going to update 2019, though. There are ways around the file size inflation (mentioned in the original Bug) that you can use, but if you're looking for a fix you'll need to upgrade.

Note that (for me, at least) there is still a difference in file size between my initial Save as PDF and the finishing Optimize PDF, but it's considerably improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The distiller path works, but distiller doesn't handle images with transparent backgrounds as far as I know.

Also, via Acrobat 2020, it doesn't handle large files for "file reduction".

I guess the printer will just have to deal with a huge file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

This issue was fixed in FM2020 and is available in both FM2020 and FM2022. Request you to upgrade to the latest version and try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I have a perpetual FM2019 license, so probably not cost-effective to upgrade when there is no clear upgrade path.

I did find a workaround via Acrobat 2020 pro. Basically, the save as "optimized .pdf" works. During the saving process, you are presented with a variety of file reduction options that work.

Thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines