• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link to RoboHelp file in FrameMaker?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to create a cross-reference or hypertext to a RoboHelp file in a FrameMaker file?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like "open a file or another application?" (terminology from FM 7.0 User Guide) That could be message openfile pathname from the Special > Hypertext options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe if we knew that, we could give you some direction on which way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a manual created in FrameMaker and published in PDF format.

I have another set of documents currently created in Word that I would like to hyperlink/cross-reference/hypertext within the above mentioned manual.

I am trying to decide whether to convert the Word documents to a RoboHelp online Help output, but I'd like to know whether I could hyperlink/cross-reference/hypertext to a RoboHelp file within my FrameMaker file.

The other possibility would be converting the Word documents to FrameMaker, but I like the format of an online Help for these documents, hence RoboHelp.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring the content into FrameMaker, xref as needed, then publish your online help directly from FrameMaker.

See http://techcomm.tools/html5 to see how easy it is to publish online help direct from Frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so your FM deliverable is a PDF; what do you want the recipient to see when they select a link in the PDF? Do you want them to get the Word document or are you sending them off to an HTML page created from the Word doc? On a workflow note, why are you authoring in 2 systems? Wouldn't it make more sense to work all in FM?

ps - I think your terms are a bit confused - RoboHelp is an authoring tool just like Word or FM, it's not an output type. You're probably thinking of their HTML and JavaScript output type they call WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it would make sense to work all in FrameMaker, but this was decisions made before my time.

When they click the link in the PDF, I want them to be taken to the Word document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, you need to either post the DOCX as a download link, or attach it to the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of publishing online help directly from Frame versus creating it in RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your content is in Fm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general then, what would be the advantages/disadvantages...my situation excluded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a bit like asking about Range Rover v. Mercedes.

Basically, it comes down to personal knowledge/preference of Fm v. Rh, or ownership of same.

Fm approaches things from a book paradigm and Rh approches things from a topic-based HTML paradigm.

They each edit content and allow you to publish to PDF and online help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines