• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of Effective Pages

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to auto-generate a List of Effective Pages (LEP) for an aircraft maintenance manual. Anyone care to share how they set up their LEP?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silicon Prairie sells a plugin that helps generate a List of Effective pages. Rocky Mountain Training provides a brief overview of how to construct one without the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, linsims​!

DJTOregon, I do want to note that I wrote that post for some students who had just completed four days of FrameMaker training with me, so while I explain the LEP process, it does assume prior knowledge of generated files, master pages, reference pages, template frames, and variables.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work - it's perfect! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have my page numbers and the running header set up on the master page. I'm not seeing a way to generate this without the page number variable being on the body page. I'd like to keep this on the master. Is there a way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJTOregon :

The page numbers go in background frames on the master pages, per usual.

The revision number/dates are added to the body pages in template frames that are drawn on the master pages per step 1.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between a template frame and a background frame? Do i make them from the same place? I guess I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either can be added to a master page using the Text Frame tool.

After drawing the frame, you are asked which one you want. Their usage is explained in the dialog box shown below.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 12.21.06 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This was very helpful. So I'm assuming that the date on each page will then need to be updated manually, correct? I believe that's how I've seen it done in the past.

-Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dan:

Yes, and that is step four in my post: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-how-to-create-a-list-of-effective-pages/

Variables. Once the running heads, the chapter numbering and the generated LoP file are all working, it’s time to begin entering the document edits. As a page is modified, you will need to update the empty template frame in the running head with the current revision number/date. This is most easily accomplished by setting up a user variable in the Variables pod, and adding the variable to the empty template frame in the running head.

You can enter the date manually on each edited body page, or use a variable.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines