List of Tables - Some tables listed out of order

Engaged ,
Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 2015 v13.0.3.495 (but I think it's happened before)

Unstructured

(this happened with two of the documents in my book)

Document has numerous tables (> 30).

Lots of conditional text (simple conditions).

When I generate my list of tables, the tables are listed as (table numbers are chapnum-tablenum):

3-1 to 3-16

3-18

3-17

3-19 to 3-20

3-22

3-21

3-23 to 3-24

3-26

3-25

etc.

As you can see 18/17 are reversed, ditto for 22/21 and 26/25.

In the document, they appear correctly (e.g. table 17 comes before table 18).

The only weirdness I can see offhand (and this is the case for most tables in multiple documents) is that the first marker in the table title is a cross-ref, where the marker text includes the table #, but the table # is incorrect (e.g. the cross-ref marker at the beginning of the table header for table 17 indicates "65379: TableTitle: Table 3\+18:\sn Blahblahblah" where 'Blahblahblah' is the actual title. Not all of the tables have this (some have correct numbers, some don't have crossrefs).

I've tried deleting tables and re-adding them, but problem persists.

Any idea what causes this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of the tables anchored to the main text flow (nominally Flow A)?

Any within anchored frames, or possibly text insets, are at some risk of ordering issues, but I would tend to think not, if the auto-numbered sequencing is otherwise correct.

The specific strings in the Marker text are auto-created when the Xref is first created, need only be unique, are never revised, and should be ignored for any list or content generation. You could hack the MIF to verify that this is not causative.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob...

- Yes, all tables are in the main text flow (for simplicity/maintainability's sake, I virtually never put them in anchored frames or text insets)

- Marker text strings... good to know, I wondered what the deal was with that 🙂

I'll keep looking... I figure the problem is "Framemaker knows John has to get this doc out soon, so is making it challenging" 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Marker text strings... good to know, I wondered what the deal was with that 🙂

There is one case where I would expect FM to change them: when you paste in text containing Markers and the strings would be identical. FM may just change the Unique number in that case.

Marker text strings can also be a bit annoying. For one, they remind us that FM has yet to give us an Xref format of $Markertext, despite requests going back perhaps 20 years. Also, the auto-created strings often contain the name of the paragraph tag at time of creation, which can be an annoyance if you do much MIF mucking, as I have, in particular trying to remove all trace of obsolete tags in a document.

re: I figure the problem is "Framemaker knows John has to get this doc out soon, so is making it challenging" 🙂

The deadline bug seems to be a feature of every app more complex than Notepad, but even with Notepad you'll discover at the last second that your document contains some Unicode code point unknown to Notepad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when tables are set to float, they switch positions based on their sizes. Any chance 17 and 18 switched positions, and someone reset the numbers manually? They would look right, but the anchors would be out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines