Highlighted

long lines in ToC

Advisor ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, given a free hand I'd rewrite the titles … but in a regulatory context, that's just what I haven't got and can't do. Here's what I can manage by naughtily editing the generated ToC and adding a soft line-feed after "skimming": but I was wondering whether someone might have tips for a more elegant solution.

wrapTOC.png
Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by frameexpert | Adobe Community Professional

You can also experiment with strategically replacing some of the spaces with non-breaking spaces in your titles to force wrapping in the TOC. I have also built a few scripting solutions for these problems over the years.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

long lines in ToC

Advisor ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, given a free hand I'd rewrite the titles … but in a regulatory context, that's just what I haven't got and can't do. Here's what I can manage by naughtily editing the generated ToC and adding a soft line-feed after "skimming": but I was wondering whether someone might have tips for a more elegant solution.

wrapTOC.png
Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by frameexpert | Adobe Community Professional

You can also experiment with strategically replacing some of the spaces with non-breaking spaces in your titles to force wrapping in the TOC. I have also built a few scripting solutions for these problems over the years.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 26, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

There are a few options.

In the paragraph designer in the Advanced tab enter these values:

Minimum 200 %

Maximum 125 %

Then the line will break some cm before the line end. (You can play with the values to make the distance bigger.)

Or there is a free plugin from CudSpan:

http://www.cudspan.net/plugins/ 

Go to 11.0 plugins. There is a plugin TOCBreaker.

Best regards

Winfried

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 0
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it works with 64-bit versions of FM. I have a vague recollection of trying to use it and getting an error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 0
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 0
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly sure I'm using the 64-bit version and Winfried's technique is working for me. I ended up having to add an extra tab before the <$pagenum> on the TOC reference page though, as described on this post:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/last-line-right-indent-desperatly-missed/td-p/10663228.

Everyone please remember to vote for a last-line right indent which would give us a more elegant solution to this issue. 

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-7310

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 0
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies for not making myself clear. Winfried's technique works perfectly and I use it myself.

I meant that I don't think the Cudspan plugin works with 64-bit FrameMaker.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 1