• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing Page Breaks in FM2015. Suggestions?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are losing page breaks during file generation (TOC, List of Figures) or adding of index tags in FrameMaker 2015. Suggestions?

We always place our tags at the end of the header or term, but that doesn't always make a difference. Those are easier to catch than when the breaks are lost during file generation.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

re: We are losing the page breaks in our chapters.

Anything that removes overrides will blow away PB overrides. It's always been my policy to never use the PB command (and avoid overrides generally).

Where I need certain paras to start at page tops, I'll spin off a variant catalog para tag for that purpose, perhaps ending up with:
Heading3
as well as
Heading3.top

Although, in general, I rarely need to do even that, preferring to rely on Keep With Next/Previous and Widow/Orphan attributes to implicitly

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you implementing page breaks?

The legacy command to do this in FM,
Special > Page Break
now
Insert > Page Break
is actually potentially misleading, as what it does is to set, as an override, a Paragraph Pagination property.

This property is trivially lost if manually applied to generated content, such as in a TOC, LOF or IX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using the Special > Page Break to add the page breaks.

I know when we regenerate files, any breaks in the TOC, LOF, or IX will be lost. We are losing the page breaks in our chapters. For instance, we like to have an Level 1 heading start at the top of the page, but sometimes will find the page break reverts back to "wherever it fits" instead of "top of next available page" when we generate the TOC at the book level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: We are losing the page breaks in our chapters.

Anything that removes overrides will blow away PB overrides. It's always been my policy to never use the PB command (and avoid overrides generally).

Where I need certain paras to start at page tops, I'll spin off a variant catalog para tag for that purpose, perhaps ending up with:
Heading3
as well as
Heading3.top

Although, in general, I rarely need to do even that, preferring to rely on Keep With Next/Previous and Widow/Orphan attributes to implicitly accomplish the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I'm going to try to modify our EDD with that idea in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDD? You working in Structured FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now things get blurry...

Your EDD won't impact the TOC and IX, as they're unstructured documents.

I suggest Bob's approach, though in my own work I adjust the bottom of text frames to create page breaks that survive the Update Book process.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I'm using Structured FM and I know the EDD won't effect the TOC, etc. We're not using the generated files that way (but that is another discussion for another day when I have more time).

I'm hesitant to adjust text frames for many reasons. With the flow of our manuals and the possibility of adding information, an adjusted text frame (for us) would just cause more problems than it would fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should this discussion really be over in that forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. It's my first post/question and I didn't realize there was a forum specifically for structured FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No sweat - I can move it over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines