• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magic Number in the MarkerText Property of Paragraph Markers

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to create paragraph markers via ExtendScript for heading paragraphs without existing markers, and wonder how to set a correct MarkerText property of a marker. When a cross-reference to a Heading is created manually in FrameMaker, it seems FrameMaker creates a new marker wih the MarkerText property set according to the following format:

<magicNumber>: <pgfFormatName>: <pgfNumber> <somePgfText>

where

• <pgfFormatName> is the name of the paragraph format (e.g., pgf.Name)
  • <pgfNumber> is the paragraph number (e.g., pgf.PgfNumber)
  • <somePgfText> is initial text from the paragraph (pgf.getText item[s])
  • <magicNumber> is a 5-digit decimal number

Example:

69752: H2,1.1: 1.1 Example text of a level 2 heading

The <magicNumber> element (69752 in the example) is what I don't understand. It seems to be unique within a document (maybe even unique within a book), and I assume it matters for keeping cross-references consistent (e.g., when heading numbers and/or text change). Thus, I'm wondering the following:

• How is <magicNumber> computed by FrameMaker?
  • Atlernative question: Is there an ExtendScript shortcut to (i) compute <magicNumber>, (ii) set the entire MarkerText property, or even (iii) create a proper Marker for a heading paragraph?

Cheers

Johannes

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The magic number isn't really magic, it is simply a unique identifier for a FrameMaker object. Most objects have a Unique property which is like a serial number for that object. Within a document, that number should be unique to a particular object; for example, each paragraph in a document will have a Unique property value that no other pargraph in the document has.

When building a Cross-Ref marker with ExtendScript, it doesn't really matter what number you use; the idea is just to build a totally unique string for the marker so that it is unique within that document. When I do it, I usually use the new marker's Unique property for the Unique property of the paragraph that contains the marker.

Another reason for using the

<magicNumber>: <pgfFormatName>: <pgfNumber> <somePgfText>

combination is that it makes the Cross-Reference dialog box show the resulting cross-reference as a paragraph cross-reference instead of a spot cross-reference, which is usually more useful for the end user.

There must be some built-in algorithm for generating the "magic" marker text, but I don't think it is exposed to ExtendScript. You will have to build your own, but now you know the pattern, you should be able to code it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines