Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making page numbers bold in an index FM19

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there

I am having trouble getting my page numbers in the Index to bold font. I have been able to do this previously by inserting <strong> before <$pagenum> on the reference page. I have checked that the character font is in the index file and is indeed set to bold. This is my first book since upgrading to FM19 so perhaps there is a different way to do this?  Thansk in advance

keli

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi keli,

I admit that I had never applied the character format for the page number with referencing the character format with < and > before <$pagenum>. I always applied the character format directly to <$pagenum> which works as well.

Can you test this approach?

Can you make your page number character format coloured, so that any changes are easier to spot?

Does your index have only one reference page for the index or several? Did you the enter the character format name on the correct reference page?

Is the spelling correct? Upper/lower case?

Did you update your book after you changed the reference page? Otherwise your change cannot take effect.

And, as always: Is your FrameMaker version up-to-date? The current update is: 15.0.4.751. Check this in the Help menu.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can certainly assign a character style to <$pagenum>, but it already has a paragraph style assigned (IndexIX) so I just apply Bold in the Paragraph Designer, then Update Style. Don't forget to update your book afterwards, because reference page changes don't take effect until you update your book.

~Barb

example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do this in LOF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mwolfthal:

Bold page numbers in the LOF?  Open the list of figures document, navigate to the LOF reference page.

Create a Bold character format, if necessary. Highlight the <$pagenum> building block, and apply the bold character style. Update the book.

In an index, the <$pagenum>  building is its own paragraph, so we update it with a paragraph style (normally). But in a table of contents, list of figures, list of tables, etc. it is included on the same line as the <$paratext> building block so you need to use a character style and not a paragraph style, or you will bold the entire line.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Is there a document that describes in detail all the various structures that exist or can be created in reference pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look up "Edit special text flow for a list or an index" in FrameMaker's help. This is found under "Projects, books, and long documents > Formatting lists and indexes".

All the building blocks that can be used on reference pages to create indexes and the generated pages are listed and described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines