• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping paragraph tags

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am applying a new template to an already established template that has a catalog of paragraph tags. Is there a way to map the existing tags to the new paragraph tags in the new template after I've applied it to the document?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

If the names match, they will map automatically, replacing the old formatting with the revised formatting when you import the formats. Ideally, use the same names.

If they don't, one option is to use a Find/Change sequence. For example, locate a top level subhead. Let's say it was called Subheading1 in the original template. Assign the new tag, let's call it Heading1. Then right click the paragraph > Copy Special > Copy Paragraph Format to copy the Heading1 format to the clipboard. Then F/C the r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the names match, they will map automatically, replacing the old formatting with the revised formatting when you import the formats. Ideally, use the same names.

If they don't, one option is to use a Find/Change sequence. For example, locate a top level subhead. Let's say it was called Subheading1 in the original template. Assign the new tag, let's call it Heading1. Then right click the paragraph > Copy Special > Copy Paragraph Format to copy the Heading1 format to the clipboard. Then F/C the rest:

1. Edit > Find/Change

Find: Paragraph tag: Subheading1

Change: By Pasting

1. Remove the old Subheading1 from the catalog.

Screenshot 2018-01-03 12.11.09.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Virginia:

I just ran across another question on the forum about this script:

FrameMaker Super Find / Change Reloaded – Adobe Technical Communication Blog

which will greatly simplify this process for you. I had forgotten all about it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to do exactly what you are asking about earlier this year...I mapped someone else's FrameMaker formats to my own template in just a few hours using Rick Quatro's FindChangeFormatsBatch plugin.

I mapped

• paragraph styles
  • character styles
  • master pages

from the old doc to my new formats.

If needed, I could have also mapped

• conditions
  • xrefs
  • variables
  • markers

Best of all, you can remove the old formats from your catalogs at the same time, and because your work is stored in an Fm table, you can convert future docs to the same format with ease.

This is hands-down the most valuable plugin I've ever used and at $80, it will pay for itself the day you first use it.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Matt and Barb! This method is working.  It will save some much needed time from a tedious task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always happy to help, Virginia.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines